5 alt-indie love songs to charm you this Valentine's Day

While many people despise Valentine's Day when it creeps up after the holiday rush of Thanksgiving and Christmas, its musical soundtrack can at least make up for all of its extravagances.

In particular, the alternative indie genre has had an array of love songs within the last several years for people in relationships, whether platonic or romantic, that continue to sweep people off their feet.

Here is a list of five of the best alternative indie love songs to celebrate with this Valentine's Day:

"The Only Exception" by Paramore

Paramore's classic love song is among the best in the last 15 years. Released in 2009, lead singer Hayley Williams serenades listeners about her struggles with accepting love when it comes in your life, especially after a family history of divorce, on "The Only Exception." Most music fans instantly can recognize the first few chords of this song and are transported into Williams' inner fears.

The bridge roars as she sings, "I've got a tight grip on reality / But I can't let go of what's in front of me here / I know you're leaving in the morning when you wake up / Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream."

You can feel the desperation for her partner in this moment, and it's extremely wholesome for those who have a significant other in their life.

"Archie, Marry Me" by Alvvays

Another staple of the alternative indie scene is Canadian band and recent Grammy-nominee, Alvvays.

In particular, its song "Archie, Marry Me" is a blissful example of getting carried away when one daydreams about the future with their partner. The main protagonist begs her lover to go through with an impromptu wedding ceremony with lead singer Molly Rankin belting, "Hey, hey, marry me, Archie."

An upbeat love song with hints of outdoor sounds like birds chirping, this song feels like a breath of fresh air, especially if this Valentine's Day is your first with a significant other. Its beautiful, carefree lyricism and use of imagery make this another song to stream this holiday, and you can easily play it anywhere with the person you love.

"Everybody Wants to Love You" by Japanese Breakfast

For those celebrating Valentine's Day with loved ones or friends instead, that's OK because Japanese Breakfast has just the right song for you. "Everybody Wants to Love You," released on the band's first record, "Psychopomp," is a shoegaze rock song about simply admiring the people you love in your life.

While there are themes of romance, this song represents more of a platonic bond between two people and wanting to do anything to please them. Its overall message is one of passion for the people closest to you, and its repetitive, catchy chorus will get you up and dancing instantly. With hints of psychedelic instrumentation and Michelle Zauner's unique vocal tone, there's no other love song like this one.

"Solid" by MUNA

Thanks to its smash-hit "Silk Chiffon (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)" back in 2022, MUNA has become a recognizable name in the alternative genre. However, the trio's song "Solid" is an underrated love song about attraction and sensuality. Similar in tone to the rest of the band's self-titled record it's placed on, this song is definitely for those in a long-term relationship.

Full of sexual innuendos and a tone full of desire, lead singer Katie Gavin tells listeners how "solid" her relationship is with her partner. She said, "She is not a mirror in what you reflect / Yeah, she is of material substance / She's so, so, so solid (She's so solid, my baby, she's so solid)," and you can feel the sense of pride beaming throughout the chorus.

Overall, if you want to listen to a song that allows you to appreciate your partner to the max this Valentine's Day, "Solid" is the right choice.

"Michael" by Remi Wolf

"Michael" by Remi Wolf is a powerhouse ballad that grabs on and holds you close as soon as the singer's wails come to the surface. Finding herself in an obsessive state of mind over her lover, Wolf's thoughts become more concerning as she cries out in pain.

So deep in love, the singer uses her lyrics and strong soprano to make the song so intriguing that it's almost concerning how much she loves this person, falling deeper into insanity by the end of the track.

Purposeful and poignant, Wolf's use of imagery is also heartfelt. It's clear in lines like, "Michael, / Hold my hand and spin me / 'Round until I'm dizzy / Pullin' out my centerfold," as the singer professes her love in such a memorable way that it will make you want to do the same. Whether you have a crush or are in a relationship, this song is one you can relate to this Valentine's Day.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu