CJ Harris (10) runs the ball at the Ohio University Football game against Long Island State at Peden Stadium in Athens, Ohio, Sept. 2, 2023

Football: All you need to know about Iowa State

Ohio will host its only Power Five opponent this weekend when Iowa State comes to town for a key nonconference matchup. Ohio is coming off a big win at Florida Atlantic last weekend. A win against a Power Five this weekend could score Ohio its biggest nonconference win in recent history. 

Here is everything that you need to know ahead of Iowa State:

Head Coach 

Matt Campbell knows the Mid-American Conference better than any of Ohio’s opposing Head coaches so far this season. Campbell started his coaching career at Toledo where he won the MAC West twice and was named MAC Coach of the Year in 2015. Since being hired at Iowa State, Campbell has been named Big 12 Coach of the Year three times. The Cyclones have made five bowl games under Campbell, most notably the Fiesta Bowl in 2020, where the Cyclones won 34-17.

Quarterback 

Redshirt Freshman Rocco Becht has three touchdown passes so far in his first season as a college quarterback. Against Iowa, Becht threw for 203 yards with a touchdown and an interception. The freshman also has a rushing touchdown on the season. 

Running Backs

Cartevious Norton has been Iowa State’s most consistent rusher so far in 2023. Averaging 54 yards per game, Norton leads the team with 108 yards rushing. Quarterback Becht is the only player on the Cyclones to have a rushing touchdown. Abu Sama has 71 yards rushing for Iowa State including a 26-yard run against the University of Northern Iowa. 

Wide Receivers 

Jayden Higgins had 95 yards receiving and a touchdown against formidable opponent Iowa last week, making him the team's leading receiver as a junior. Higgins is responsible for one of Becht’s three passing touchdowns this season. Freshman Benjamin Brahmer and redshirt sophomore Tyler Moore also each have a touchdown reception. 

Defense 

The Iowa State defense has performed well in its first two games of the season. In week two, despite a loss, the defense only allowed 20 points (seven of which Iowa scored on an interception returned for a touchdown) to Iowa’s offense led by former Michigan quarterback Cade McNamara. 

Jeremiah Cooper will be a problem for Quarterback Kurtis Rourke, who is currently recovering from injury. So far, Cooper has three interceptions for the Cyclones in two games played.

Beau Freyler is the team leader in total tackles with 17, including one sack. 

Notes on Ohio 

Rourke appeared in his first full game last weekend against Florida Atlantic but the former MAC player of the year did not look 100%. The quarterback threw for 203 yards with two interceptions and one touchdown. It will be a story to watch as Rourke looks to fully return from injury. 

The defense has been the high point of the young season for Ohio. This weekend the team will face its toughest competition and will need to perform well in order to beat a power five team. 

@robert_keegan

bk272121@ohio.edu

@GorbettBobby

bg238320@ohio.edu