Ryan Higgins (9) and a Toledo player try to beat each other to the puck in Bird Ice Arena on Dec. 2, 2022.

Hockey: Numbers to know from Ohio's 10-1 win

Ohio had its best start to a game in its second of the weekend against Toledo, and it paid off. 

The Bobcats came out on fire Saturday, scoring five goals in the first period and eventually beating the Rockets 10-1. They added three more unanswered goals in the second, making the score 8-0 before the game was even close to being over. The deficit was too much for the Rockets to overcome, and the Bobcats earned their first series sweep since Nov. 5. 

Here are the numbers to know from the game:

8

Eight different Bobcats scored in the 10-1 romp, including some players who haven’t been the typical goal-getters this season. Blake Rossi and Sam Turner were two of the Bobcats who scored, each notching their third goal of the season. Players who have been finding the net all season also contributed, as Luc Reeve, the team leader in goals, picked up his 20th of the season in the third period. 

Two Bobcats scored multiple goals Saturday: Ryan Higgins and J.T. Schimizzi. Higgins scored the first goal of the game 2:44 in, and the last goal of the game in the third period. Schimizzi had back-to-back goals that were less than four minutes apart from each other in the first. 

29 

Both Ohio and Toledo had the same number of penalty minutes with 29. The majority of those came from Laker Aldridge and Toledo’s Mike Burton. Both were given 15 minute major fighting with disqualification penalties with just over two minutes left in the game. 

Each team was called for seven different penalties other than that. Despite the large amount, Reeve’s goal was the only one scored on the powerplay. Toledo, who is just 4-for-52 on the powerplay this season, was not able to use an extra skater on the ice to its advantage. 

2

Ohio goalie Garrett Alderman played in just his second game of the season Saturday. He stayed in the whole time and fended off all but one of Toledo’s 15 shots on goal, earning 14 saves. 

The only other game Alderman has played in this season was the Bobcats’ game against Alabama on Oct.1. Having Alderman in goal was a nice change of pace for Ohio, who typically starts Justin Damon or Max Karlenzig. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu