'Come Home The Kids Miss You' is available now everywhere (Photo provided by @jackharlow via Twitter).

Album Review: 'Come Home The Kids Miss You' is trying to do too much

In the world of rap, everybody seems to love Jack Harlow. The Kentucky-raised rapper has captured the hearts of fans with his swagger and flirtatious personality since the release of his first major hit, “WHATS POPPIN” in 2020. Now, he’s back for more with his sixth studio album Come Home The Kids Miss You. 

The album has potential, but Harlow is trying too hard with his flow and verses. However, his lyrics have a reflective nature, proving he is evolving as a rapper.

Harlow is aware of his up-and-coming status as a rapper and teenage heartthrob. In the first track, “Talk Of The Town”, the rapper reminisces on his childhood years in Kentucky. There is a hint of self-doubt towards the end, as Harlow questions his talent and future. Lyrics such as “Ironic, how? / I’m who they miss, they target me now,” and “Am I the realest? / Okay, I feel it,” emphasize these anxieties and shows that the rapper knows to not trust people right away, especially in the music industry.

As the album progresses, Harlow settles into himself, ready to get listeners up and dancing to club hits such as “First Class” and “Dua Lipa.” On “First Class,” the rapper uses a sample from Fergie’s “Glamorous ft. Ludacris,” making for a catchy summer track. This song calls out all the haters and reestablishes Harlow as an accomplished, hard-working musician. Meanwhile, “Dua Lipa” is a direct shoutout to the pop singer. It seems like Harlow isn’t afraid to go for what he wants, and clearly, that’s Dua Lipa. 

There are impressive tracks on Come Home The Kids Miss You, but there are some songs that just don’t leave a mark. Moving from track to track feels like a rollercoaster, peaking at “Movie Star ft. Pharrell Williams” and immediately crashing down into “Parent Trap ft. Justin Timberlake.” This could be a sign that Harlow is giving into rap trends instead of remaining authentic.

Overall, Come Home The Kids Miss You is aiming to be too mainstream, gravitating towards TikTok consumerism and distancing itself from the stylistic roots of rap music.

Here are the best tracks you should listen to from Come Home The Kids Miss You

“First Class”

Most people have heard this song by now, but after listening to the full tracklist, “First Class” is the perfectly sampled Top 40 lead single we all need this summer. If you are also a Fergie fan, listeners will love Harlow’s incorporation of “Glamorous” into the first couplet of lyrics. By the end of the season, everyone will have “I been a (G), throw up the (L) / Sex in the (AM), uh huh / (O-R-O-U-S), yeah” memorized, if they haven’t already.

“Dua Lipa”

By far one of the most sensual and flirtatious songs on the album, Harlow has his eyes on the Grammy winner in “Dua Lipa.” With another sample from Wiz Khalifa’s “Black and Yellow,” the lyrics of this song are quite the showstopper. “Dua Lipa, I’m tryna do more with her than do a feature (Do it)” is another line listeners will be able to remember for years to come. Harlow manages to release his confidence and swagger in a way that doesn’t sound too desperate on this track.

“Movie Star ft. Pharrell Williams”

Out of all the tracks on the album, Harlow finally experiments with his sound, integrating futuristic beats and production with the help of legend Pharrell Williams. If Williams wasn’t in this song, the electricity and magic would be lost, another sign that the rapper needs to work on strengthening his solo verses. Yet, “Movie Star” is an incredible collaboration, with Harlow and Williams matching each other’s energy. “What’s wrong? / You never f*cked with someone who writes songs?” and “And I know they say all types of things about this type of life (Huh) / Boy, ask yourself, are they right? (Right)” are standout lyrics, showing that the two should collaborate again in the future.

“Churchill Downs ft. Drake”

Harlow reflects on his musical journey, promising himself that he’ll continue working hard and growing as an artist. Collaborating with one of his musical heroes, Harlow and Drake compare their starts as rappers, creating a father-son-like conversation. The two give each other advice while also making parallels to their pasts. “Before I met Drizzy, I knew he and I would get along / But it’s really hard to crack jokes when you really want advice / I mean what’s it like to touch gold every time you touch a mic, touchin’ heights, no one gets a touch in life.” All in all, it’s a touching and mature track from Harlow.

Rating: 2/5 

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu