The 79th Golden Globe Awards were held on Jan. 9, 2021 (Photo provided via @goldenglobes on Instagram)

Here’s what you missed from the 79th Golden Globe Awards

Last week, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced that the 79th Golden Globe Awards would be a mostly virtual event, with only a small number of vaccinated, boosted, masked and socially distanced HFPA members and other grantees in attendance. 

Unlike years before, those interested in watching had to rely on social media and the Golden Globes website to get real-time updates. Happily, there were still some noteworthy award moments throughout this year’s ceremony. Here’s some awards you may have missed from Sunday:

Best Television Series - Drama

Winner: Succession

It’s no surprise that Succession won in this category, as the HBO series has gained a mass following overnight for its plot and cast. After the debut of its third season last year, fans believe it to be the series’ best. 

Best Picture - Drama

Winner: The Power of the Dog

Sweeping much of the Golden Globes Sunday night, The Power of the Dog is a film worth taking note of. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst, this Western drama highlighted the struggles of maintaining masculine power and how this affects a man’s relationship with others. Overall, it seemed to win the approval of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. 

Best Picture -  Musical/Comedy 

West Side Story

Although controversy was made with this rendition of the famous musical, the film still proved to work its magic on audiences everywhere. With newcomer Rachel Zegler as the captivating Maria, it’s hard to deny that the 2021 version of West Side Story had a talented cast. Steven Spielberg's use of colors, choreography and Latino representation caused this film to be a standout this past November.

Best Actress - Motion Picture - Musical/Comedy

Winner: Rachel Zegler

At only 20 years old, Zegler won her first Golden Globe for her stellar performance as Maria in West Side Story. After much praise for her impressive vocals and acting, film critics everywhere gave her the credit she deserves. With her wide range, it was impossible to not award the actress for carrying the majority of the film.

Best Actor - Motion Picture - Musical/Comedy

Winner: Andrew Garfield - Tick, Tick… BOOM!

Garfield earned this award not only for his amazing portrayal of the late playwright Jonathan Larson but also for his vocal abilities. The actor came into this role with no vocal training and overcame the challenge of learning Larson’s difficult numbers throughout the film. What makes this performance so stunning is the charisma and wittiness that Garfield lets off, along with the way he portrays the life of Larson and his friends in New York City during the 1990s.

Best Director - Motion Picture

Winner: Jane Campion (The Power of the Dog)

Campion’s recognition as a director is only the second time a woman has been awarded a Golden Globe in this category. Because of this, the director made history for her work in The Power of the Dog. With many films in her repertoire, it’s no surprise that Campion made her mark in 2021 with her directorial vision yet again.

Best Television Actress - Drama Series

Winner: Michaela Jae Rodriguez (Pose)

Rodriguez made history Sunday night as she became the first transgender woman to win a Golden Globe. In Pose, the actress has grown to fame for playing Blanca, who creates a home for LGBTQ+ youth who have been rejected by their families. Her character is one that is revolutionary and inclusive of the community, and it proved the skills and energy that Rodriguez has as an actress.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu