Cutler Hall on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio. (FILE)

OU announces fully vaccinated individuals exempt from asymptomatic COVID-19 testing

Ohio University announced Tuesday fully vaccinated individuals will not be required to participate in asymptomatic testing through the Testing Pathways Program effective immediately. 

On June 1, OU revised its public health protocols following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC, and in anticipation of Gov. Mike DeWine lifting statewide guidelines the next day.

Following updated information from the CDC specifically directed to institutions of higher education on June 4, OU began reviewing and modifying its protocols to be consistent with CDC guidance, according to a university-wide email from Gillian Ice, special assistant to the president for public health operations. 

Students who have already selected their Vaccination Pathway do not need to update their selection if they are fully vaccinated. Individuals who are fully vaccinated may continue to test through Vault Health if they choose to.

Additionally, individuals who are not vaccinated against COVID-19 will be required to test weekly and must also select their path through the program. 

“If you have not yet selected a pathway, I hope this perk encourages you to get vaccinated and to register that vaccinate through the Pathway Program,” Ice said in the email. 

Mask wearing and social distancing indoors is still required on campus for all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, according to a previous Post report

In the email, Ice said OU cannot calculate the rate of campus vaccinations currently as they have not heard from enough students, faculty and staff regarding their vaccination status. 

However, Ice said OU continues to encourage those who are not vaccinated to get their shot, as higher vaccination rates may allow the university to drop masking and physical distancing protocols indoors.  

“Along the way, we may also be able to decrease the frequency of asymptomatic testing,” Ice said in the email. “How long it takes to get there is up to each of us.”

@mollymwilson

Mw542219@ohio.edu

Molly Wilson

News Editor