Ohio's Zac Carson wrestles with Central Michigan's Logan Parks on Jan. 31, 2020, in The Convo.

Wrestling: Ohio gets back to its winning ways with a victory against Bloomsburg

After its three-dual win streak was snapped on Friday night to Central Michigan, Ohio came into its matchup against Mid-American Conference foe Bloomsburg looking to get back over .500 in the MAC. 

Ohio defeated Bloomsburg 28-9 to earn its fourth MAC victory of the season. Ohio (6-6, 4-3 MAC) was able to dominate Bloomsburg all afternoon. 

No. 17 Shakur Laney once again put on a show for the Bobcats, as he defeated Marlon Shawn Omen, 17-7. Laney dominated the entire bout as he took down Omen multiple times and came close to pinning him. Laney’s impressive weekend that included a 8-7 overtime win against Central Michigan, will help him continue to climb up in the national rankings. Laney’s win gave Ohio the early 7-3 lead. 

Alec Hagan also won again, continuing his superb season. Hagan defeated Aaron Coleman 11-1 in a bout in which he controlled the entire time. Zac Carson followed Hagan up with a win of his own, defeating Alex Carida 3-2. The bout was close, but Carson ultimately prevailed and gave Ohio the 14-3 lead with five matches remaining. 

Having Laney, Hagan and Carson in a row gives the Bobcats a three-headed monster capable of defeating whoever they face. The trio also gives Ohio some momentum heading into the final five bouts. If Ohio wants to make some noise at the MAC championships, it starts with Laney, Hagan and Carson. 

“I’ve tried to get five guys who I think can beat anybody,” coach Joel Greenlee said. “Laney I think can beat anybody. Carson can. Hagan can.” 

Jordan Earnest ended the afternoon for the Bobcats with a pin to cap a great bounce-back win for Ohio. Earnest has worked hard all season, improving every single bout.

“(Earnes)] stumbled a little bit against Central Michigan,” Greenlee said. “He goes back out there today and gets back on track. He is a super hard worker.” 

Ohio will be back in action on Feb. 9, when it faces Northern Illinois and South Dakota State at The Convo. The duals start at noon and 2 p.m. respectively. 

@Willshep13

ws905818@ohio.edu