An OUPD cruiser parked outside the department’s headquarters in Scott Quad. (FILE)

Police Blotter: Student staggers through University Terrace; mailboxes tampered with

Two Ohio University students found themselves in trouble over the weekend.

On Saturday at about midnight, a student was seen by Ohio University Police Department officers staggering down the sidewalk and into the street of University Terrace, nearly falling several times. 

He had glassy and bloodshot eyes, was slurring his speech and smelled of alcohol. He was issued a citation for underage consumption of alcohol and released to a sober man, according to the report. 

OUPD officers also responded to a call from resident assistants in Sargent Hall who reported that there was a drunken student in the second floor men’s restroom on Friday at about midnight. 

According to the report, he was found to have bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and smelled of alcohol. He was arrested for disorderly conduct by intoxication and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail pending his sobriety. 

Is your refrigerator running?

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office took a report of a possible theft on McGill Road in Guysville on Oct. 3. 

The landlord of a property said his renters were supposed to be out of the residence by Friday but was told by a family member the renters were selling his appliances on Athens Buy Sell Trade, according to the report. Two deep freezers, a kitchen stove and the interior doors were all posted for sale. 

On the scene, deputies contacted the renters, who said they had sold their own appliances. They had no intention to sell the interior doors or the deep freezers since they belonged to the landlord. Pictures were taken of all appliances for future reference. There was no evidence that a crime was committed, and the case was closed. 

Mysterious package

The sheriff’s office received a report from a woman in Athens who said she opened a package from a children’s clothing retailer and found a syringe inside it on Oct. 3.

The syringe was wrapped in plastic and appeared to be unused. It was disposed in a a hazardous waste container, and the issue was reported to the clothing company, according to the report.

Dog gone

The sheriff’s office received a report Oct. 4 from a woman who said her dog ran away about two months ago, and she just found out where it might be.

She attempted to to make contact with a person who may know the whereabouts of the dog by phone, but there was no answer, according to the report.

Messing with mailboxes 

On Tuesday, the sheriff’s office took two reports of mailboxes being tampered with. 

The first report was of a mailbox that was knocked over at a residence near Hockingport. The incident is still being investigated, according to the report. 

Deputies were also advised that two men on bicycles were tampering with mailboxes along State Route 13 area, according to the report. Deputies patrolled the area but did not locate the men.

Gone in a flash

The sheriff’s office took a report of an active theft of a trail camera from a hunting property on Tuesday.

Deputies determined the camera was not stolen, despite evidence that the camera had been tampered with. According to the report, no further assistance was needed at the time of the discovery, and the case was closed. 

Possible prowler

On Oct. 4, the sheriff’s office responded to a prowler complaint in New Marshfield.

The caller said the rental house that they owned next door had been broken into and could see someone in the dark walking around the residence. According to the report, deputies checked the residence and found it to be secure with no signs of recent tampering or forced entry.

Deputies patrolled the area with no signs of criminal activity. No further action was taken, and the incident was considered closed. 

@JackieOu_ohyeah

jo019315@ohio.edu