Album Review: The Neighbourhood lacks diversity in sound on its self-titled album

California-based band The Neighbourhood blew up in 2013 with its hit song “Sweater Weather.” Comprised of Jesse Rutherford on vocals, Jeremy Freedman and Zach Abels on guitar, Mikey Margott on bass and Brandon Alexander Fried on drums, the band has been soaring onto the charts and touring the world ever since the release of its debut album, I Love You.

The band’s third album, The Neighbourhood, carries on with its black and white aesthetic but contains a slightly different sound that has progressed from the past two albums. Its debut was fueled by alternative indie-pop. One could argue its second album, Wiped Out!, somewhat bridges the gap between the musical influences on the self-titled and debut album. Wiped Out! features the trademark sultriness of The Neighbourhood but was more adventurous in sound. 

Arguably, the five-piece have reached a new era of sound. Its self-titled album is based in electronic rhythm and blues sounds, and the lyrics touch on deep topics. The Neighbourhood has always adapted a strong aesthetic, and it has definitely carried into the music of the third album. 

Though the band has slowly progressed to its current sound, the album lacks diversity within its tracks. Each song contains the same underlying electronic sound, and they each feature Rutherford’s melancholic vocals. Some songs definitely employ specific elements, such as strings or hip-hop beats, but that doesn’t distinguish the tracks enough. By the end of the 12-track album, it’s understandable how someone could be bored. 

Though there’s a lack of diversity, there aren’t necessarily bad songs on the album. The band released “Nervous” as the second single for the album, and it’s evident why. The song opens with Rutherford’s vocals over a subtle beat, which builds until the chorus, and the relaxed beat gives the song a chill vibe. 

Another standout track on the album is “Void.” Released as the first single, the song contains feelings of emptiness and wanting to fill — as the title alludes — the void in oneself. The upbeat melody juxtaposes the darker lyrics, a common thread on multiple songs.

The Neighbourhood has always seemed to have a specific direction it wants to take its music. Whether it’s the sound of its songs or the aesthetic of its album art and promotions, it’s thought out by the members of the band.

The band’s third album may not be anything necessarily spectacular, but it makes sense with how its music has progressed over the length of its career. 

Rating: 2.5/5

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu