(left to right) Ohio University's President Duane Nellis, Trustee Janetta King and Trustee Dave Moore open up the Board of Trustee's meeting on January 19, 2017. (Blake Nissen | Photo Editor)

Construction, regional campuses and a career fee: Here’s what to watch for at the March Board of Trustees meetings

Park Place renovations, capital improvements and the proposed career services fee are set to dominate discussion at the March meeting of Ohio University Board of Trustees.

Here’s what to expect at the March 22 and 23 meetings: 

Upcoming renovations to Park Place

The trustees will examine the first draft of a concept plan of the Park Place corridor, as well as resolutions regarding the renovation of 29 Park Place and Konneker Alumni House, according to a university news release. 

Although the plan is not being considered for approval this month, members of the Park Place planning strategy working group will present short and long-term goals.

Goals include widening sidewalks, screening the loading and dumpster area near Alden Library and increasing pedestrian safety. The plan would add a new porch with a seating area to the library and community gardens behind 29 Park Place and reduce traffic to one road with a two-way access.

“The Park Place Corridor is a key hub area for the University and Community,” co-chair Shawna Bolin said in the news release. “We have developed draft ideas that will enhance safety, preserve key historic elements, and provide opportunities for gathering and education.”

The working group, which includes representatives from the university and the City of Athens, will receive input from the board before making final recommendations to OU President Duane Nellis.

If approved by the board, 29 Park Place — the university’s former presidential residence — will be repurposed as an academic engagement center. 

Konneker Alumni Center, which the OU Foundation owns, will receive an ADA entrance, “programmatic improvements” and other repairs. 

Capital improvements and regional campus development

The board is also set to consider three capital improvement projects, including a $2.88 million renovation to the Chillicothe campus academic success center, a $900,000 project to replace the roof on the innovation center, and installation of artificial turf on the Bob Wren baseball field for $600,000. External donations entirely fund the turf project.

University officials will also examine the OU’s property in Beavercreek, Ohio, near Dayton. 

The Beavercreek presentation will include an overview of the Russ Research Center property, a campus owned by OU through a limited liability company. The campus is set to begin offering certification courses this year, according to a February Dayton Daily News report. 

University officials will also present a concept design for a conference and training center, as well as “emerging regional partnerships” with entities including the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. 

Revisiting the career fee

The board will also revisit the proposed “career and experiential learning fee,” which has been discussed in numerous forums on campus since it was approved by the board in January. 

The Board of Trustees voted to approve the career fee at $6 per credit hour for all undergraduate students on the Athens campus, as well as those at regional campuses, according to a previous Post report. The fee will begin with the fall 2018 class and will not affect students already under the OHIO Guarantee program.

The fee will cap at 12 credit hours, meaning it will cost about $72 per semester for full-time students or $576 over the course of four years. 

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu