Thread the Needle: Pencil eyeliner must die

I hurried excitedly back to my dorm after running through the rain to retrieve my package from the mailroom. My Ipsy bag, a monthly makeup subscription service, had finally arrived and I poured the contents on my bed to examine my monthly haul. I see a charcoal mud mask, perfect for all of those post-Halloween blackheads, an inviting neutral nail polish, lip balm that smells like sugar, the Two-Faced mascara I had already been eyeing and an Urban Decay eyeliner pencil — the dreaded eyeliner pencil. 

Pencil eyeliner may have been the world’s first foray into eyeliner beginning with ancient Egypt, but it is certainly not the best. It’s easy to fall for the pencil eyeliners deceit — it is championed for being less messy than other liners, it is usually cheaper than other liners and there is no applicator necessary. However, there are myriad things wrong with the pencil eyeliner, no matter the brand. The most terrible thing about the eyeliner pencil is it is usually too dry and won’t show up without painful pressing into a very sensitive part of your skin. It is time to stop being stuck in Mesopotamian times and open up to all the far superior eyeliner options now flooding the cosmetic aisle. Here are some alternatives to swap your pencil eyeliner with. 

If the pencil eyeliner is your current go-to, never fear, the felt tip is here. Think of this as the new and much improved eyeliner pencil. There is no separate applicator needed, as the felt tip can be used directly on the eyeline. The pencil eyeliner is often lauded for giving the user great control, and the felt tip liner has that same control because of the direct application and fine tip. A benefit over the eyeliner pencil is that the felt tip makes it easy to make the lines thick or thin. This property of the felt tip makes it perfect for conquering the elusive cat-eye. 

Gel pot eyeliner is my personal favorite. It might take some more time to get just right, and does require a brush, but the results are worth it. This stuff will last you from the first sip of your morning coffee, through a tough exam, to dinner with friends and will still be perfect when it’s time to go to bed. It is very buildable, so turning your look from a day look to a night look is a snap. 

I am all for a two in one product that ties your look together and eyeshadow liner is just that. This eyeliner goes on smudgey and adds an edge to any smokey eye. This liner can also be a fun way to deviate from the normal black or brown eyeliner. Instead, match it up to your eyeshadow color of choice. 

Liquid liner is pure precision. This liner takes some mastery to apply, but this is the only eyeliner that will do for straight, sharp lines that aren’t going anywhere. Liquid liner glides right on and works best with a steady hand guiding it. This liner usually has a completely matte finish. 

You deserve better than the outdated, painful eyeliner pencil. Stop jabbing your eyes, throw out your pencil sharpener and pick up any one of these other eyeliners.

Zoe Stitzer is a freshman studying journalism news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you use pencil eyeliner? Let Zoe know by tweeting her @zoe_stitzer.