Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford star in Blade Runner 2049, scheduled to be released Oct. 6. (photo via bladerunnermovie Instagram)

Seven must-see movies in October

There are a wide range of movies coming to theaters in October, and not all of them are horror flicks to align with Halloween. Check out these seven movies this month:

The Florida Project

In the drama coming to theaters Oct. 6, Willem Dafoe plays the concerned protector for Moonee (Brooklynn Prince), an intelligent six-year-old who lives near Walt Disney World. Moonee and her friends cause a bit of mayhem while her mother (Bria Vinaite) rebels from the norm. This film is sure to be heartwarming.

Blade Runner 2049

Set 30 years after the original Blade Runner, the next installment will come to theaters Oct. 6. In this film, Los Angeles Police Officer K (Ryan Gosling) discovers a well-kept secret with the potential to cause major turmoil. In his quest for answers, K attempts to find former LAPD officer Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), who has been missing for 30 years. The long-awaited sequel will sure live up to the original. 

Marshall

Coming out Oct. 13, Chadwick Boseman plays Thurgood Marshall, the first black Supreme Court Justice, as he takes on a case that defined his career. Based on true events, Marshall defends Joseph Spell (Sterling K. Brown), a black man accused of attacking a white woman (Kate Hudson) in her bedroom. This historical thriller should inspire many. 

Goodbye Christopher Robin

This film takes an inside look at the creator of Winnie the Pooh, A.A. Milne (Domhall Gleeson) and how he came to create the iconic stories. He came up with the character after his son, Christopher Milne (played by Will Tilston and later Alex Lawther) asked him to write a book about him. The film looks at the creation of the stories as well as how A.A. Milne dealt with his post-traumatic stress disorder after fighting in World War I. The movie will be released Oct. 13.

Jigsaw

Jigsaw is back! The Saw franchise comes back to the screen for the first time since 2010 with the latest installment, Jigsaw, Oct. 27. The horror flick picks up where it left off, at the notorious “Jigsaw” killer’s supposed murder. Multiple bodies start showing up with puzzle pieces cut out of them, leading back to “Jigsaw.” Detectives must find out if there is a new “Jigsaw,” or if John Kramer (Tobin Bell) has some impressive tricks up his sleeve.

Breathe

This biographical drama follows the life of Robin Cavendish (Andrew Garfield) after his polio diagnosis. Cavendish was given three months to live and became depressed, but, with the help of his wife (Claire Foy), he comes up with an idea: a wheelchair that will also breathe for him so he can travel. He inspires many people with polio and proves there is more to living with polio than being miserable. The inspirational film will be in theaters Oct. 13.

Thank You for Your Service

Based on true events, this movie follows the lives of U.S. soldiers after they return home from the Iraq War and their struggles to return to civilian lives. Miles Teller plays Adam Schumann, a war hero who saved many lives throughout his deployment. Schumann struggles to deal with both his PTSD and how people view him as a hero even though he doesn’t. The war drama will be released Oct. 27. 

@jess_umbarger

ju992415@ohio.edu