Quite Contrary: The warmer, the better

Cold, like the sweeping hand of death, has overtaken Ohio, dragging the state into a spiral of depressing frigid weather for the next four to six months. 

I get it, some people like the cold. The first week of frigid weather is delightful, and the first snowfall brings to mind Christmas and holiday spirit, but after the Christmas lights are taken down and the snow melts away to reveal brown grass and leafless trees, the crushing weight of the infinite cold starts to weigh down on me.

There’s nothing inherently good (or convenient) about snow and ice. If anything, they’re just an omen of a coming car crash. And I’d rather not spend the money on the coats and scarves that everyone claims to love so much.

Late spring, summer and fall are the best times of year — the comfortable, T-shirt type weather is the most convenient type there is. 

Think about it: did you really like having to throw on a coat over your costume during Halloween? Was shuffling from party to party really fun in the feels-like-30-degrees weather? Do you really actually like the cold?

Everyone complains about humidity, and seems to forget that it can be cold and humid too. Just because it’s hot doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be humid, and even if it is, it just means a terrific thunderstorm is coming instead of a full-on blizzard. 

Cold weather doesn’t mean you’ll be curling up by a fire drinking hot cocoa. It means you’ll be trudging through a roadside slush of melted snow and dirt on your way to class, huddled up in that not-so-warm jacket you said you missed so badly during the summer, hating every second of it. 

Cold weather means you’ll be paying copious heating bills and scraping ice off your car. It means it’ll get dark at six and stay that way until late the next morning. It means you’ll put on gloves only to have your fingers freeze anyway. It means you’ll keep shivering even after you get out of the cold. 

No one appreciates summer until it’s gone. “I can’t wait for Christmas” in July quickly becomes “I can’t wait for summer” in January. Suddenly their uncomfortable memories of humidity and sweat are blinded by a what feels like a bucket of ice dumped over their heads every time they leave a heated building. 

Enjoy the cold while you can — you’ll be wishing for summer soon enough. And when you see the first tiny leaves appearing on trees in April, you’ll forget that winter ever even happened. 

Bennett Leckrone is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you for whatever reason love the warm? Tweet him @LeckroneBennett.