Austin Rivers, then a senior from South Carolina, drops his vote in the ballot box in November. (FILE)

These are the issues on your November ballot

November's elections are right around the corner. Here are the issues Athens voters will see on their ballots:

TACO

The Athens Cannabis Ordinance (TACO) would lower penalties for misdemeanor marijuana offenses to the lowest penalty allowed by state law.  

Currently, offenders could spend up to 30 days in jail and be fined up to $250 for 100-200 grams or be fined up to $150 with no jail time for 100 grams or fewer. The ordinance seeks to remove both the fine and the jail sentence.

State Issues

Issue 1, “Rights for Crime Victims,” a proposed Ohio constitutional amendment, would expand the rights of victims under section 10a of the Ohio Constitution. According to the ballot, the amendment would ensure “due process, respect, fairness and justice for crime victims and their families in the criminal and juvenile justice systems.”

Issue 2 would require the State of Ohio — including its state departments, agencies and entities — to not pay more for prescription drugs than the price paid by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs. According to Cleveland’s 19 News, proponents of this issue argue it would save taxpayers money, but opponents argue citizens who don’t get prescriptions through the state wouldn’t benefit from the issue.

Levies

There are no new levies on the ballot, but four are up for renewal.

The Athens City School levy will fund the Athens City School District’s current operating expenses for 10 years and will amount to one percent of earned income of individuals within the district.

One Athens County levy will provide funding for emergency medical services, and will not exceed $0.10 per $100 of valuation for five years. 

The second Athens County levy will fund the Athens County Board of Developmental Disabilities services’ maintenance and operations at no more than $0.18 for 100 dollars of valuation for eight years. 

The Athens-Hocking-Vinton Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services levy goes to the general operating fund for the organization, and won’t exceed $0.10 per $100 of valuation for 10 years. 

Athens City Council

First Ward Incumbent Kent Butler, D, is running against Brian Cristi, I. 

Second Ward Incumbent Jeff Risner, D, is running unopposed.

Third Ward nominee Samuel Emerson Crowl, D, is running unopposed. 

Fourth Ward Incumbent Chris Fahl, D, is running unopposed.

City Council President Chris Knisely is running unopposed.

Five individuals are running for the three At-Large seats on council. Sarah Grace, D, and Noah Trembly, I, are running against incumbents Patrick McGee, I; Peter Kotses, D; and Arian Smedley, D.

Grace lost to Republican Jay Edwards in the race for the Ohio House of Representatives’ 94th district last November.

Township trustee

Three candidates are vying for two seats as Athens County Trustees. They are Brian Baker, Eddie Smith and Steve Pierson.

School Board

Seven candidates are competing for the three open spots on the Athens Board of Education. They are Bruce D. Nottke, Sean Parsons, Jenny Klein, David J. Hayden, Paul Grippa, Kimberly Goldsberry and Laura Alloway.

@LeckroneBennett

bl646915@ohio.edu

Clarification: The article has been updated to clarify the penalties for misdemeanor marijuana offenses.