President Nellis speaks during the first Student Senate meeting of the year on Aug. 30. (FILE)

Student Senate: Body to continue 'Freedom of Expression' discussion

Ohio University Student Senate will hold a student speakout about the “Freedom of Expression” policy and will hear from Athens Mayor Steve Patterson at its Wednesday night meeting. 

The senate body spent 45 minutes discussing the policy at its meeting last week as well. Some members said the policy was broad and didn’t define “disruptive” behavior well enough. 

They also expressed concerns that it did not describe consequences for violations of the policy. Other senate members said the policy may have been a response to protests that happened last academic year.

“This policy is a direct response to how silly the university looked after the Bobcat 70 ruling,” Sam Miller, at-large senator, said last week.

The 70 students who were arrested are the senate’s constituents, she said, and the senate needed to defend them.

There are also 18 resolutions on the agenda for the meeting. Many of the resolutions involve changes to the Rules and Procedures and internal affairs. Four of the resolutions would appoint members or commissioners to different commissions. 

Kent Ring would be appointed to serve as an International Affairs Senator, Cade Plotts would be appointed to serve as West Green Senator and Carolyn Miller would be appointed to serve as the Minority Affairs Commissioner. Additionally, Alicia Lundy-Morse, Nicole Kromalic, Samantha Miller, Zach Reizes and Zach Weeks would be appointed to serve as the Leadership Development Committee, according to the agenda.

Student Senate also appointed senators at its previous meeting. Perry Eldredge was appointed to the International Affairs Commission, and Anna Dirda was appointed to the Off-Campus Commission.

The agenda also says Student Senate will enter executive session as needed. Public meetings may only discuss six topics in executive session, the statement said. The topics include appointments, investigations of charges against employees, the purchase of property for public purposes, confidential matters and more.

No action may be taken during an executive session, according to the rules and procedures.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu