Susan Bolton consults her husband, Jon, between shots. The two came to the range with their son, Nick, for Ohio University's 2016 Parents Weekend. (FILE)

Parents Weekend enjoyed by students and families

Freshman Lindy Baird enjoyed seeing her parents for Ohio University's Parents Weekend —
especially because they brought her food. 

“It was nice to see the campus (and) to see her settled in,” Lindy's mom, Michelle Baird, said.  

Parents Weekend lets college students and parents reunite, replenishing the snack stashes of many students and allowing parents another opportunity to be irritated by their children. There’s nothing more wholesome than families coming together, and parents recalling their own college days while they enjoy the company of their children.

The university hosted many events and activities that students and their families could participate in, including ziplining, a football game and even stargazing.

The pleasant weather Saturday provided an opportunity for families, like the Bairds, to attend the the football game, where the Bobcats beat Kansas 42-30

“It was great, they won,” Michelle said. 

Some families had fun outside of the university-organized events. Amber Bertorello, a freshman studying psychology, said she and her parents were planning to walk around Court Street and then go to The Ridges. She and her family were looking forward to ghost hunting — even though her parents said they would not let her break into The Ridges.

The Edgerton family visited the traveling Vietnam Memorial, which they said was “really nice.”

The half-scale memorial was created by Maya Lin, an Athens native, and will visit 38 cities across America this year. It is accompanied by a mobile education center that includes pictures of soldiers and was situated next to Walter Hall for four days from Thursday to Sunday.

Edgerton’s parents said repeatedly they love OU's campus.

“It’s really nice,” Amy Edgerton, a sophomore studying biology, said. “I love when they come.” 

@hrichards1000

hr899116@ohio.edu