On A High Note: New St. Vincent Album is best yet

Everybody’s favorite modern rockstar, St. Vincent, will be releasing a new record, Masseducation, on Oct. 13.

“You’re the only motherf***er in this city who can handle me,” Annie Clark, better known as St. Vincent, confesses on the pour-your-hear-out ballad she released in June, “New York.”

The lyrics on the lead single have already become iconic, popping up on Lorde’s Twitter and in the diaries of outsiders everywhere.

While St. Vincent has made a name for herself as one of the best guitarists in the modern game, listeners get the feeling this record was written on emotion, not showcasing her unmatched riffs.

Even this month’s glitzy, keyboard-heavy follow up single, “Los Ageless” is a thinly veiled heartbreak song. She disguises the sentiment with the circus-like scene she paints in the first couple of verses.

“The last days of the sunset superstars/ Girls in cages playing their guitars”.

“Los Ageless” is not quite as intimate as “New York” but it’s still an indie song, too stripped down and emotional to be considered a rock song.

“How could anybody have you and lose you/ And not lose their minds, too?” Clark repeats in the chorus. She then goes on to whisper a lament to end the track.

Masseducation is setting itself up to join Lorde’s Melodrama and Kendrick Lamar’s DAMN. On the elite list of 2017’s best records. Plus, it’s not as hyped up, so fans might actually be able to enjoy it without getting sick of it immediately.

In the modern industry, St. Vincent is one-of-a-kind and, mark my words, the best is yet to come for her.

Halle Weber is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Are hyped for this album? Let Halle know by tweeting at her @HalleWeber13.