Even though Wonder Woman came out over the summer, it still has potential at the Academy Awards. (via KinoCheck International)

Don't forget about these 7 movies come Oscar season

It’s never too early to think about the Academy Awards. Though awards season is months away, some movies that came out over the summer should not be forgot about when it’s time for the Academy to vote. Here are seven films that could still get nods:

The Big Sick The Big Sick has been getting rave reviews for its strong and humorous storyline. The movie is a borderline romantic comedy with an artistic touch on it. The screenplay is based on the real-life story of Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani, the writers of the film, and the two should receive a nomination for Best Original Screenplay. Nanjiani could also get a nod for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role. Honestly, the film could earn nominations in all of the big categories. 

Wonder Woman This Marvel film strays from the Academy’s usual pickings, but its social influence could land it potential nominations, including Best Picture. Some critics feel that Gal Gadot deserves an acting nod for her stunt work and empowering performances. The summer box office hit probably won’t get as many nominations as it deserves, but it could land some of the minor categories, such as Best Costume Design. The costumes really brought together the movie, and who can forget the first moment her iconic costume was revealed?

The Beguiled The film directed by Sofia Coppola was praised at Cannes Film Festival for its directing and acting. The star-studded film could land it acting nominations for Kirsten Dunst, Nicole Kidman, Elle Fanning and Colin Farrell. The Civil War-era film could also land it a nomination for Best Costume Design, Best Cinematography and Best Production Design.

Dunkirk The most-highly anticipated film of the summer lived up to its expectations. The film will pick up many nominations if it can keep up the momentum. A Best Picture nomination is in its future, as well as two nods for director and writing for Christopher Nolan. It’s unlikely the film will earn any nominations for acting because the film followed many storylines and one of the best ensemble casts in years. If it was to pick up any acting nominations, the nods should go to Fionn Whitehead and Cillian Murphy.

Baby Driver Baby Driver was one of the most unexpected hits of the summer. The film was praised for its superb use of sound, which will undoubtedly pick up nods for Best Sound Edit and Best Sound Mixing. A Best Picture nomination seems a little out of reach for this film, but Edgar Wright could receive a nomination for Best Original Screenplay. Ansel Elgort and John Hamm could potentially pick up nominations in the acting categories.

Logan Logan just missed the mark for last year’s Academy Awards, so it’s likely a lot of voting member will have forgotten about it by time the nominating process begins. Despite that fact, the darkest superhero movie of this generation is still deserving of a couple nominations. The movie’s flowing format could earn it a nomination for Best Editing and Hugh Jackman could earn his second nomination for his performance.

Get Out Like Logan, Jordan Peele’s Get Out just missed Oscar season, but it could still pick up a couple nominations. If the Academy is feeling generous, Peele could pick up two nominations, each for Best Original Screenplay and Best Director. It would be a bit of stretch for Daniel Kaluuya to get a nod for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, but it could happen.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu