(Provided via Travis Irvine)

Documentary of OU alumni’s experience running for mayor to screen at The Athena

When Travis Irvine moved back to his hometown, running for mayor was the last thing on his mind.

Irvine had returned to witness the city hall in Bexley colluding with the local university to destroy neighborhood homes and make space for college dorms. His neighbors were upset and the neighborhood he grew in was being threatened.

While watching the battle between his neighborhood and Bexley’s city council, the mayor of his town was retiring and an “ah-ha” moment came to Irvine.

“I was just like, ‘What if I ran for mayor (and) voice the concerns of my neighbors?’” Irvine, a 2006 OU alumnus who studied telecommunications, said.

American Mayor is a documentary of Irvine’s journey as he tries to make a difference in local politics by running. Irvine had been politically involved throughout his college career, but it was his first time running for a position for a city. He decided to team up with some filmmaking friends and document his journey.

“We wanted to run and make a difference, but we also wanted to document it so we could eventually show other people how to do it too,” Irvine said. “That’s what this movie is about, getting involved at the local level first and how you can actually impact change .”

The documentary will be screened at The Athena Cinema, Friday at 7 p.m. Following the screening, a Q&A session with Irvine and journalist David DeWitt from The Athens NEWS will be held. 

“It’s always great to see work that was done by alumni and students here,” Alex Kamody, the director of the Athena, said. 

In celebration of its 10th anniversary of filming, American Mayor will also be available to watch on Amazon beginning Sept. 19.  

Ashley Fishwick, a senior studying political science and English pre-law, said she believes there have been more progressive policies because younger people are beginning to get involved in politics.

“There’s a disillusion on what the typical American politics have to offer, but if you don’t like it get involved,” she said. “That’s the best way to make change.”

Fishwick, the president of Ohio University College Democrats, said she has seen a rise in political discussion among her peers.

“Millennials are definitely taking notice and taking action,” Fishwick said. “They know that something has to be done.”

Having younger people running for office has a great impact, Irvine said. It’s not enough to post opinions on the internet nor to campaign for candidates, “let’s go around and be the candidate themselves,” he said. 

Although the road may be tough, he said millennials should get involved with local politics because they are the future.

“I think it’s more important now than ever that millennials take over the political process,” Irvine said.

@summerinmae

my389715@ohio.edu