Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, and Clerk of Council Debra Walker chat before the Athens City Council meeting Aug. 28. (FILE)

City Council: Members to discuss school building changes at Monday's meeting

Athens City Council members will discuss the financial implications of changes to the Athens City School district’s elementary schools — which may include consolidation into a “mega school” — during Monday night's meeting. 

Council members will meet in committees and examine the potential costs of several proposed configurations for the school building improvements, which may include consolidation. 

“There is interest by several council members since they have received so many comments from parents of the school district about concerns over what may be happening with the existing schools or the possibility of building a new school, and what the financial implications might be,” Council President Chris Knisely said. 

A February petition garnered nearly 400 signatures after the Athens City Schools Steering Committee recommended consolidating Athens’ elementary schools into a larger building. Petitioners criticized the proposed consolidation.

“It is our belief that disposing of our cherished, successful small schools will negatively impact our students and our communities with consequences that extend far beyond the classroom,” the petition said at the time.

Council members will also discuss the creation of a housing commission to address affordable housing in Athens. Knisely said the need for a commission stems from an affordable housing report created by Councilwoman Michele Papai and Ohio University’s Senior Vice President for Strategic Initiatives Stephen Golding in 2016.

“One of the things that comes out of that are some recommendations to move forward on more affordable housing,” Knisely said. 

Council members will also discuss amending a council rule to clarify that a president pro tempore — an interim council president that acts in the absence of the regular president — is able to vote. 

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu