A look into health benefits and students' opinions of bacon

Kitty Consolo doesn’t eat bacon, but she recommends others to use it as a topping on a baked potato. 

In 2016, more than 65 million people consumed at least two pounds of bacon, and 17 million people consumed at least five pounds of bacon, according to Statista

Ohio University students and professors have very different opinions about the popular cured meat. 

Consolo, a professor of health sciences at OU Zanesville, said bacon is not something you should eat everyday, like chicken breast, but there are different ways to make it healthier.

“People do like it because it tastes good, but the healthiest way to get it is to make sure it’s from a farm where the animals are raised free and there are no hormones, no antibiotics,” Consolo said.

In stores, Consolo often sees products from industrialized farms with labels like "no antibiotics added." Once farms kill the animal, Consolo said, they don't usually add any extra antibiotics. According to Public Broadcasting Service, approximately 15 to 17 million pounds of antibiotics are used in the meat industry in the United States each year. 

“The question is: What was in the animal’s food?” Consolo said.

The way bacon is cooked matters too, Consolo said. For instance, cooking bacon on a George Foreman grill will allow excess fat to drip down the grill.

“It’s slanted so any fat from the meat you cook runs down this tray so it’s the least amount of fat you can get if you decide to eat animal products,” Consolo said.

The healthiness of bacon also depends on the population that eats it, Consolo said. For people who have diabetes, heart-related diseases or any other health concerns, eating bacon is an unhealthy option.

For example, Consolo said she doesn’t eat bacon because she does not have a gallbladder and thinks it’s unhealthy. 

“People without gallbladders really have trouble digesting fats, so I have to be really careful and eat really lean meat,” Consolo said.  

Studies show high-fat and high-processed foods, such as bacon, may be just as addictive as heroin and other drugs, according to US National Library Medicine.

Eating bacon in moderate amounts or as a topping is healthier, Consolo said.

Ben Carpenter, a sophomore studying screenwriting and producing, said he loves bacon. 

"Bacon is one of God’s greatest creations," Carpenter said. "I’m glad he gave that to us."

Kennady Walker, a sophomore studying business pre-law, said she prefers sausages. 

“To be honest, I don’t really like bacon. I don’t eat it a lot,” Walker said. “I think it’s the texture that bothers me. I’ve tried it crispy and I’ve tried it more on the flimsy side. It doesn’t taste good. It’s really gross and heavy on my body.”

Turkey bacon is a healthier alternative to traditional bacon, which Alyssa Donahey, a sophomore studying integrated media, said she prefers. 

“I don’t like bacon. It’s greasy, and it makes me feel bad for the pigs,” Donahey said.

Spencer Evans, a freshman studying business, expressed his distaste for bacon and meat in general. 

“I think the processing for the meat is really disgusting,” Evans said. “I’m trying to go vegan. I feel bad for the animals.”

Elliott Smith, a senior studying history, would consider himself a “bacon enthusiast” and said he usually includes the meat when he makes sandwiches.

“Bacon is the s---,” Caleb Ternent, a junior studying screenwriting, said. “I actually just had some this morning. My heart is probably going to kill me later in life, but right now my tongue is giving me life.”

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu