Police Blotter: None left standing after Welcome Weekend

Correction appended.

The Ohio University Police Department didn’t have anyone to stand in their way during opening weekend. In fact, many of the people they found around campus were lying down. 

Here’s a breakdown of all the places OUPD found people lying down over the past week: 

In the dorms

OUPD found passed-out partiers in Bromley and Tanaka halls on the ninth and fourth floors respectively, according to OUPD reports. Both incidents occurred on Sunday. One student was taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, while the other was taken to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital.

In the streets

A 19-year-old woman was found lying on East Green Drive near Biddle Hall after she fell off the East Green retaining wall Thursday at about 2 a.m., according to an OUPD report. The officer found her to be intoxicated and transported her to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital for treatment.

The woman was charged with underage drinking.

In the mulch

An OUPD officer found an 18-year-old woman lying in mulch on Stewart Street on Saturday.  Three people were trying to help her when the officer approached. She was lethargic, unsteady and had vomit on the corner of her mouth. 

She was taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail and charged with underage drinking and public intoxication.

In front of university buildings

An officer found a 20-year-old man lying on the ground on Station Street in front of the Human Resource & Training Center on Sunday at about 1 a.m. 

The officer charged him with underage drinking, and he was taken to OhioHealth O’Bleness Memorial Hospital.

Lost on campus

Opening weekend was especially hard for one student, who an OUPD officer caught trying to swipe into the wrong hall on Thursday.

According to a police report, an officer saw the man stumbling down Jefferson Hill. He told the officer he was trying to swipe into Gamertsfelder Hall but was actually attempting to swipe into Lincoln Hall.

After determining the student, who was unsteady on his feet and had bloodshot eyes, was drunk, police transported him to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

Stolen golf cart

At about 3 a.m. Friday, someone told OUPD about a golf cart with a trashcan mounted on the back sitting in the parking lot of The Convo with the keys still in it.

Later, OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital Security contacted OUPD asking if they’d seen their golf cart. The cart was fully operational, and there are no suspects in the alleged theft.

Escapee horse

On Tuesday, Athens County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a report that an escaped horse was almost hit by a vehicle. 

Deputies confirmed the identity of the horse’s owner and returned it.

Cold case

OUPD stopped a 43-year-old man who was stumbling shirtless around campus while carrying a case of beer on Aug. 22 at about 1 p.m. 

The man, who the report states was unsteady on his feet and unsure of his whereabouts, was charged with disorderly conduct and taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail until he was sober.

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this article misstated the name of OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.