Spencer Ibarra dashes to first base after a hit during Ohio's first game in a double header against Siena University on Saturday (BLAKE NISSEN | FOR THE POST)

Baseball: Ohio goes 1-2 against Western Michigan

Ohio won a single game and lost two on the road against Western Michigan on April 28 and 29 in its fifth conference series of the season.

The Bobcats (20-22, 6-9 Mid-American Conference) now sit in second place in the MAC East Division.

Game 3

Ohio hoped to continue the momentum from its offensive outburst in its previous game, but were instead shutout in a 9-0 loss to close the series.

The Bobcats failed to plate a run off eight hits despite eight of the nine offensive starters all notching one hit in the game.

Right-hander Butch Baird struggled in his start; the redshirt junior lasted just four innings and gave up five earned runs on 10 hits and a walk.

Game 2

Ohio evened the series in a marathon 17-13 win, as the two teams earned a combined 36 hits.

The Bobcats' offense took advantage of every opportunity it made, managing to score a run on all 17 of the team's hits. Five of Ohio's nine offensive starters tallied multi-hit games, with freshman Tanner Piecknick notching four hits in five at-bats and accounting for five runs while scratching across two RBIs.

The Bobcats' offense continued to heat up as the game progressed, as it plated three or more runs in four of the game's final six innings.

Ohio also managed to score at least a single run in seven of the game's nine innings.

Resiliency also played a key role in the victory. The Bobcats came back from a 12-5 deficit after five innings. The offense dug into Western Michigan's lead with a five-run sixth inning before finishing off the comeback by scoring seven more runs and building a healthy lead to seal the victory in the final three innings.

Game 1

Ohio took a tough 3-2 loss to the Broncos despite a superb start from left-hander Gerry Salisbury. The redshirt junior threw seven innings and gave up just two earned runs on two walks, seven hits and two strikeouts.

The two sides carried a 2-2 tie into the bottom ninth, but right-hander Jake Rudnicki couldn't contain Western Michigan in the final half-inning as the Broncos quickly loaded the bases with one out before scoring the winning run on a sacrifice fly.

Despite notching seven hits and a three-hit game from third baseman Connor Callery, the Bobcats' offense struggled to plate runs off of Western Michigan starter Kyle Mallwitz, who matched Salisbury's quality start with a solid outing of his own. The right-hander went seven innings and gave up six hits with no walks while striking out three.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu