(From left to right) Vice Presidential candidate Nicole Schneider, Treasurer candidate Zachary Woods and Presidential candidate Landen Lama embrace after their ticket, Green Light, swept the executive candidate positions during the 2017 Student Senate Elections.

Student Senate: Time for Ohio receives most write-in votes; death also garners support

In the 2017-18 Ohio University Student Senate elections, some students took to the polls to voice their support for clocks in every classroom and spicy chicken sandwiches every day.

Every year, the ballots for the senate elections have the option for students to write in the names of candidates they want elected, and this year, Time for Ohio, an unofficial ticket, took most of those votes. A total of 2,202 students voted in the senate elections.

The Time campaign received 85 votes overall in the election. The three candidates who received the most votes under Time for Ohio were Chrissy Grieshop for president, Anthony DiRienzo for vice president and Luke Fikaris for treasurer.

The Fight ticket received the second highest number of write-in votes. Fight was removed from the ballot after not turning financial records in on time for the fourth time.

Students mostly chose to just write in "Fight" rather than one of the specific candidates from the ticket. Overall, "Fight" received 19 write-in votes.

Students also wrote in OU administrators for positions such as president and at-large senator. Former OU President Roderick McDavis received the most write-in votes of all the administrators with a total of seven votes, compared to OU’s 21st President Duane Nellis’ four votes.

TV personality Wayne Brady was also written-in for several positions including president, at-large senator and off campus senator. In total, Brady received seven votes.

Students also wanted some candidates that were not exactly human, such as death, in office. Death received seven votes, all in separate categories.

Some students went further than writing in nonhuman candidates by instead submitting a statement. The statement "Palpatine is the Senate!" was written in five times, each vote in a different category. Palpatine is the evil emperor from Star Wars.

Other celebrities students wanted to represent them in Student Senate included Tom Hanks, Bill Murray and Bob Dylan.

@maggiesbyline

mc987015@ohio.edu

@ememleber

el790115@ohio.edu