ONCE UPON A TIME - "Mother's Little Helper" - Gold and Belle convince Emma to help Gideon, explaining that together they can stop the Black Fairy. Henry experiences a disorienting shift in his powers that forces Regina to seek counsel from the previous Author. Meanwhile, in Fairy Tale Land, Hook attempts to win the assistance of an old adversary by betting his most prized possession on a game of cards. And, in a flashback, the Black Fairy tortures young Gideon in hopes of molding him into the perfect apprentice, on "Once Upon a Time," SUNDAY, APRIL 9 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network. (ABC/Jack Rowand) JENNIFER MORRISON, GILES MATTHEY

TV Review: Has ‘Once Upon a Time’ reached its final chapter?

Could this be the end of the story for Once Upon a Time? The latest episode makes it seem like the show might be nearing its end, but will it end in a happily ever after? Here’s what happened in the Sunday’s episode of Once Upon a Time.

Hook returns to Neverland

Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) was trapped in Agrabah last week, but it appears he made it to familiar territory. He manages to find a pub and finds Blackbeard (Charles Mesure), the pirate who owned the Jolly Roger before Hook.

Hook knows Blackbeard has a magic bean that can transport him back to Storybrooke, but to get the bean, he wagers a deal to play cards for the Jolly Roger. Blackbeard wins the poker game and ends up getting the Jolly Roger, but Hook neglects to tell him it’s in Storybrooke. Blackbeard gives him the magic bean and they open a portal. Instead of going to Storybrooke, they end up on Neverland.

The Lost Boys show up and chase them around. They find a boat along the shore, but Blackbeard double-crosses Hook and takes the boat, stranding Hook on Neverland. Hook has not had the greatest luck recently.

Via giphy.com

Emma and Gideon face a giant spider

Reluctantly, Emma (Jennifer Morrison) agrees to help Gideon (Giles Matthey) defeat the Black Fairy (Jamie Murray) and to get Hook back. To get Hook back they need to open a portal. They go to the Sorcerer’s mansion and attempt to open a portal. Instead of Hook coming through, giant spider legs breaks the door and cause every arachnophobic person to cringe in horror — myself included.

Emma and Gideon hide and try to fend off the spider, but their efforts come to a halt when Gideon pushes Emma into a web, trapping her there. Gideon was the one who created the spider. Gideon plans to kill Emma and take her powers to open the portal to the Black Fairy’s realm. The key to the portal is the sword, and the one thing that can open the portal is in Gideon’s possession.

Via giphy.com

A new villain is in town

Gideon leaves Emma to fight off the spider, which encases Emma in a mummy-like web. Emma passes out and, at the same time, Gideon’s sword glows. Gideon manages to open a small portal, but it closes when Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) saves Emma. Together, Rumple and Emma shrink the spider and smoosh it. I’m probably going to have nightmares about that spider for weeks.

Via giphy.com

Anyway, the portal must have been open for just the right amount of time, because the Black Fairy appears to Gideon in a later scene. The sword was able to free her from the realm she was trapped in. Yet again, Once Upon a Time introduces a new villain. They go through villains way too fast. Can one of them stay around for more than five episodes, please?

Via giphy.com

Gideon might not be as evil as he seems

The flashbacks in the episode revealed a lot about Gideon and his relationship with the Black Fairy. When Gideon was a child, he used to read the book Belle gave him to his friends when they were trapped in cells. One day, the Black Fairy caught him and tortured his friend.

Many years later, Gideon, who is now the Black Fairy’s right-hand, was sent to find and punish someone for stealing from her. The culprit was his friend from childhood. Instead of punishing him, the friend convinces him to help defeat the Black Fairy because to wants to create a dark curse. His friend says there is a Savior in another realm — Emma, of course — they can talk to using a magic orb. They try to steal the orb, but the Black Fairy catches them.

The Black Fairy claims this was her plan all along. She wanted to test Gideon’s loyalty and he failed. She said she has a plan to get rid of Emma, and Gideon is going to be the one to do it. The Black Fairy plunges her hand into Gideon’s chest and rips out his heart. Gideon has been under the Black Fairy’s control the entire time. Maybe he isn’t evil after all.

Via giphy.com

The final chapter?

Early in the episode, Henry (Jared Gilmore) tries to help Regina (Lana Parrilla) by writing a potion list, but is put in a trance of some sort. He wasn’t using his Author powers at the time, so the two of them are very confused. They decide to seek help from an untrustworthy source — Isaac (Patrick Fischler), the Author who manipulated a lot of the stories in the book.

Isaac is in Regina’s prison and will only help if he is let out and is given a sports car and Hamilton tickets. Yes, Storybook characters want to see the biggest Broadway hit, too. Even when Regina refuses to give him what he wants, he tells them he has heard of that happening to other Authors.

Regina lets Isaac out of the prison because he won’t reveal what exactly is happening until he is set free. Isaac is disappointed that Regina is unable to get him Hamilton tickets, but hands the Storybook over to Henry and tells him to flip to the back. The last few pages of the book are blank. It’s the final chapter where the Savior will face her last battle, he says, “and trust me, no one wants to be around to see that.” Whoa, that was a bombshell of an ending. I am speechless.

Via giphy.com

Once Upon a Time airs every Sunday at 8 p.m. on ABC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu