Friday

WHAT: Beers N' Queers

WHEN: 6 p.m.

WHERE: Devil’s Kettle Brewing, 97 Columbus Rd.

ADMISSION: Free, drinks for sale

Beers N’ Queers, hosted by the Ohio University LGBT Center, allows all Athens residents, LGBT or not, to converse and enjoy a beer or two together. Devil’s Kettle will have 20 housemade beers on tap, as well as non-alcoholic root beer and ginger ale.

WHAT: Sons of Italy 2nd Annual Wine Tasting

WHEN: 6 p.m.

WHERE: Sons of Italy, 15 Dove Dr.

ADMISSION: $35

The Southeast Ohio lodge of the Sons of Italy will host its second annual wine tasting event. The Sons of Italy is a non-profit group that strives to preserve and celebrate Italian heritage. Proceeds will be donated to the Doug Flutie Autism Association.

WHAT: Star Party 9.3

WHEN: 8 p.m.

WHERE: State Street Cemetery

ADMISSION: Free

Star Party 9.3 is a continuation of the Athens Astronomical Society’s Star Party series. The event’s Facebook page encourages people to head to State Street Cemetery early in order to see Venus at its “maximum brilliancy” — but also advises attendees to “leave the booze at home.”

WHAT: Hellnaw

WHEN: 9 p.m.

WHERE: The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St.

ADMISSION: $5

Athens-based rock duo Hellnaw will perform at The Union Bar & Grill for the second time this year. The show’s special guest had yet to be announced as of press time.

WHAT: Mountains Lost

WHEN: 10 p.m.

WHERE: The Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St.

ADMISSION: $3

Athens-based bluegrass trio Mountains Lost will be performing Friday night at The Smiling Skull Saloon. The band’s music is a self-described blend of Americana and newgrass, a genre that combines bluegrass, folk and rock, according to newgrassfestivals.com. Mountains Lost have become something of a mainstay at The Smiling Skull. The band performed at the saloon six times in 2016, according to their Facebook page.

Saturday

WHAT: 15th Annual Good Works Walk

WHEN: 8:30 a.m.

WHERE: First United Methodist Church, 2 S. College St.

ADMISSION: Free, donations accepted

The annual Good Works Walk, hosted by the non-profit organization Good Works, Inc., works to fight poverty in southeastern Ohio. The walk, which will take place Saturday morning, raises both awareness and money for Ohioans struggling with poverty and homelessness. All money raised by the walk will benefit the Good Works Timothy House, which, according to its website, is the only homeless shelter in eight southeast Ohio counties.

WHAT: 18th Annual Rock Stars Climbing Competition

WHEN: 9 a.m.

WHERE: Charles J. Ping Recreation Center

ADMISSION: $30

OU Outdoor Pursuits will host its 18th annual climbing competition Saturday morning at Ping Center. Three skill divisions will be open: recreation, intermediate and advanced. Registration is available either online or the morning of the event, starting at 9 a.m., and climbing starts at 10 a.m.

WHAT: Water Witches’ Halcyon Listening and Pizza Party

WHEN: 2:30 p.m.

WHERE: Haffa’s Records, 15 W. Union St.

ADMISSION: Free

Athens rock trio Water Witches is set to debut its latest album, Halcyon. Before the album is sent to the record press, Water Witches will host an album listening party, complete with complimentary pizza, at Haffa’s Records.

WHAT: Duo-Jetts with Jeff Perholtz

WHEN: 6 p.m.

WHERE: Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St.

ADMISSION: Free, food and drinks for sale

Casa Nueva’s free early show will be headlined by the Duo-Jetts, a female soul-rock duo. The Duo-Jetts’ Facebook page describes the Cincinnati-based band as “female fueled bad-assery.” Jeff Perholtz, the husband of Misty Perholtz of the Duo-Jetts, will join the duo on stage.

WHAT: Acoustic Jazz Night with John Horne

WHEN: 8 p.m.

WHERE: Athens Uncorked, 14 Station St.

ADMISSION: Free, drinks for sale

Athens Uncorked mainstay John Horne will return to the wine bar Saturday night. Horne is an acoustic guitarist and an adjunct professor of guitar and jazz studies at OU.

WHAT: Appalachian Hell Betties Benefit: Slut Castle, Caution Step, Weird Science and Death To The State, featuring DJ Barticus

WHEN: 8 p.m.

ADMISSION: $5

The local roller derby team, the Appalachian Hell Betties, will be hosting a fundraising concert Saturday night at The Union Bar & Grill. Four local punk bands — Slut Castle, Caution Step, Weird Science and Death To The State — are scheduled to perform, as is DJ Barticus.

WHAT: Radarhill and Wolfmen

WHEN: 10 p.m.

WHERE: Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St.

ADMISSION: $5

Post-jazz band Radarhill and Athens-based avant-garde rock band Wolfmen will play Casa Nueva’s late show Saturday night.

Sunday

WHAT: Great Backyard Bird Count morning session

WHEN: 7:30 a.m.

WHERE: Ohio University Compost Facility, 7876 Blackburn Rd.

ADMISSION: Free

WHAT: Great Backyard Bird Count afternoon session

WHEN: 2 p.m.

WHERE: Bottom of Baker Center

ADMISSION: Free

Rural Action is hosting the Great Backyard Bird Count for all birdwatchers. The event helps researchers learn about local birds and how to protect them.

WHAT: MSA Night

WHEN: 5 p.m.

WHERE: Baker Ballroom

ADMISSION: $5

The OU Muslim Student Association will host MSA Night. MSA Night is designed to bring people together to have fun and learn about Islam. The event will feature food, performances and more.

@alexmccann21

am622914@ohio.edu