Pro-Life Pondered: You cannot be pro-choice and support Black Lives Matter

In 2013, the #BlackLivesMatter movement quickly took off in response to the shooting of an African-American teenager, Trayvon Martin, by George Zimmerman. Ever since then, there has been a debate between two ideologies — one being the Black Lives Matter ideology and the other being All Lives Matter ideology. I have no solid stance on the issue between the two ideologies. I feel like only saying a specific group of people’s lives matter is dangerous, but I also do know that African-Americans have undergone terrible civil injustices. I don’t get caught up in media buzzwords, so whether someone says “all lives matter” or “black lives matter” does not really matter to me. However, I hope those that do claim that black lives matter are consistent with what they believe.

According to the main website for BLM, one of the guiding principles for the movement is as follows, “We are committed to embodying and practicing justice, liberation and peace in our engagements with one another.” I sincerely hope that those involved with the movement include pre-born boys and girls in that statement. I know several anti-abortion activists who are a part of the #BlackLivesMatter movement. I have no problem with people saying that black lives matter. However, I will have a problem if they are only talking about a certain group of black Americans.

I won’t generalize, but it’s no secret that BLM comes mainly from the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party has recently been taking more and more of a pro-abortion stance. However, let's take a look at the state of New York, a state won by Democrat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election. In 2013 alone, 34,960 abortions of African-American babies were performed, according to the New York Department of Health. This shows that the Democratic Party does not care about all black lives, but only a certain type of black lives. It’s very contrary to the purpose of the BLM movement, which is to end discrimination of a type of group because of something that they cannot control.

As I have said, I see nothing wrong with anyone using the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter or following the movement. As a matter of fact, I applaud anyone who stands up for any sort of injustice, just like I do with abortion. Civil rights begin in the womb. If you believe that black lives matter, then act accordingly and stand against the current holocaust that is killing thousands of pre-born African-American boys and girls by the day. If you support the legal killing of African-American pre-born children, then do you really think that all black lives matter? So therefore I ask you, if you’re pro-choice, don’t say that all black lives matter.

Jacob is a sophomore studying pre-law at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How do you feel about the Black Lives Matter and All Lives Matter ideologies? Let Jacob know by tweeting him @JacobHoback.