Dalton Mozart (20) drives through the opposition against Wellston High School on January 13th, 2016 STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER|MATT STARKEY

Athens Basketball: Bulldogs suffer second-straight loss, struggle to contain Morgan

This article has been updated to include new reporting.

One of the inconsistencies that's frequently plagued the Athens Bulldogs this season has been finishing games that come down to the last few minutes.

They found themselves in that situation again as they entered the final quarter Tuesday against the Morgan Raiders, down 48-47.

Athens ultimately found the same frustrating theme that has kept it away from top-tier status, as the Bulldogs (12-8, 8-3 Tri-Valley Conference) fell to the Raiders, 70-60.

"We have to make shots," coach Mickey Cozart said. "We missed too many shots in the paint. We have to better than we have been the last couple games."

Athens kept things tight all game, but the defense struggled to stop a quick Morgan (15-6) offense in the fourth quarter when it needed to the most — the Raiders scored 20 points in the final quarter to break away from the Bulldogs.

The Raiders' 20 points in the fourth quarter were the most points they scored in a single quarter all game.

A key bright spot lately for Athens has been the strong play of its unheralded players and that trend continued despite the loss. Sophomores Logan Maxfield and Justin Hynes contributed 30 total points to complement senior Griffin Lutz’s 13 points, helping to keep the pressure on Morgan throughout the game.

"Logan played his best game of the season," Cozart said. "That's how we need him to be aggressive on both ends of the court. He's only a sophomore, it will come."

The way in which the Bulldogs lost Tuesday matches that of other close losses, including losses to Fairland, Warren and New Lexington, all of which Athens could have won with a strong fourth quarter effort, but ultimately unraveled as the clock ticked down.

With Morgan being the toughest team left on Athens' regular season schedule, the Bulldogs will be hoping to finish the season out on a two-game win streak as they get set to take on Sheridan in the first round of the playoffs next week.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu