Pro-Life Pondered: What Trump's administration means for the pre-born

Donald Trump is now the 45th president of the United States.

It goes without saying that right now, there are a lot of very unhappy people. Many are afraid of how Trump will treat certain minority groups. Muslims, the LGBT community, Hispanic people and all other sorts of marginalized members of the U.S. are frightened Donald Trump will take away some of their rights and discriminate against them; reasonably so, too. However, there is one group of marginalized members of our society who will benefit from Trump’s presidency — the preborn community.

Certainly, there are valid claims that the aforementioned groups face struggles that others may not face. However, the law protects these groups of people from being harmed because they are born. According to the Guttmacher Institute, there were approximately 926,200 abortions performed in 2014, averaging out to around 2,500 daily. There are not 2,500 Muslims legally dismembered every day, there are not 2,500 Hispanics who are disemboweled daily, and it’s not legal to pay someone to decapitate a person within the LGBT community. Born people in the most marginalized groups in our society are much safer and protected by law than the preborn community.

Donald Trump has promised to reach out and to help this community. When asked what his stance was on Roe v. Wade, Trump said, “I am pro-life, and I will be appointing pro-life judges.” With the recent vacancy of the Supreme Court seat once held Justice Antonin Scalia, this is a very optimistic time for the preborn community. For the first time in nearly 40 years, equality may be in their midst. Had Hillary Clinton been elected, the dehumanization and mass-execution of preborn children would have continued. However, the victory of Donald Trump gives the pro-life movement and the preborn community hope.

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,' " Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said. 

We do not yet live up to the true meaning of its creed. Preborn humans do not have the same rights as born human beings. If we want to be a nation of freedom and equality, it starts by giving the preborn community equal and fundamental rights. The time is now.

Jacob is a sophomore studying pre-law at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How do you feel about Trump's stance on abortion? Let Jacob know by tweeting him @JacobHoback.