Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: Union Street sidewalk renovations cause contention among members

The sidewalk on West Union Street between Court Street and Congress Street is projected to open this summer, but Athens City Council members are at odds over how much walking space they're willing to grant pedestrians.

The local legislators plan to widen the sidewalks when they open up again, but Councilman Peter Kotses, D-At Large, said those changes could come at the expense of bicycle traffic.

“The only thing I truly worry about is that we’re spending $160,000, and we’re still not addressing the problem of bikes on the sidewalk,” Kotses said.

Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, said she had received communications from citizens regarding the area, which has been under construction for more than two years after a fire destroyed several buildings on the block.

“People are ready for that to move on and get their parking space back,” she said. “But they also want it to be as unique an area as possible.”

Last week, council members suggested ideas for the renovations, including having kiosks at both ends of the block, maple trees and decorative flowers, benches and bike racks.

Council members passed three ordinances on Monday night, including authorizing funding transfers, reallocating the income tax and adjusting staffing levels.

The ordinance redistributing the city’s income tax will allow more money to be used for the city’s street rehabilitation fund.

Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, said the increase in funding was a “step in the right direction.”

“I think it’s wise to add that extra 1 percent to the street fund,” Butler said. “I think this is a step in the right direction”

Papai noted the streets are in need of rehabilitation.

“As chair of transportation, we know we need additional funding in our street fund,” she said.

In a previous Post report, Council President Chris Knisely said Athens Mayor Steve Patterson requested the change.

“When the income tax comes in, certain percentages go to different activities in the city,” Knisely said. “The mayor is requesting a minor shift so that some additional monies go into ‘street rehabilitation.’ It’s basically our street repaving and repairs that go on every year.”

@leckronebennett

bl646914@ohio.edu