Athens Police Department

Athens police record 32 cases of vehicle break-ins in the span of a month

Athens Police Department Chief Tom Pyle is encouraging Athens residents to lock their doors and cars after the department recorded around 32 vehicle break-ins between Dec. 10 and Jan. 10.

For the most part, no damage was recorded to vehicles that were broken into, leading APD to believe the culprits either target unlocked cars or have a method of breaking into locked cars.

“They’re clearly crimes of opportunity,” Pyle said. “They’re happening over night. There’s some conjecture that they might be happening in the early morning hours, like between 4 and 6 a.m.”

In most cases, the thieves only took items that couldn't be traced, like coins or gloves, Pyle said.

He also said APD was trying “nontraditional patrol tactics” to help deter the crimes, but said understaffing in the department presented a challenge.

“I wish I had more staff to address the issue,” he said. “Right now we’re woefully, woefully short. I think most people would be really shocked to learn that we have really no more than three police officers on the road at any given time in the city.”

Joan Kraynanski, a member of the West Side Community Association, said she has faith in Pyle and his department.

“I really think highly of Chief Pyle,” Kraynanski said. “He brings professionalism to the table.”

Kraynanski, who had her purse stolen in broad daylight in late October, said APD was able to apprehend the suspects in just over an hour.

“All of the resources that they had, they were able to pull together and find the people that burgled me,” She said. “I think, with the limited resources that APD has, they do a phenomenal job. I was very impressed.”

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said Athens residents can take steps to protect themselves from potential thefts.

“We’re asking people to be extra vigilant, and if you do have any valuables at all in your vehicle, take it out,” he said.

Patterson said the most important thing Athens residents can do is report crime when they suspect it.

“It’s easier and better to have our APD respond to it and go check it out than to be a passive bystander and not do anything at all,” he said.

Kraynanski said break-ins have been a recurring problem while she's been in Athens.

“I’ve lived in Athens at least 25 years, and I have to say, there was a time where we were getting hit all the time,” Kraynanski said, “I never used to lock my car, but I’ve had people go through my car and my glove box. There’s been cycles of this.”

Despite the thefts, Kraynanski said she has never felt endangered during her time in Athens.

“I still feel very safe living in Athens,” she said.

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu