President Chris Knisely speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: Dakota Access Pipeline could be opposed with a resolution

The Dakota Access Pipeline has been a topic of debate in Athens and across the United States in recent weeks, and City Council will weigh in on the issue Monday.

Council will discuss a resolution of opposition to the pipeline at the body’s Monday meeting. Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, said the group will create a resolution against the pipeline.

“Resolutions generally offer local government a chance to formally express an opinion together,” Butler said. “But a resolution is a gesture and is not a law.”

Activists held a protest Uptown in front of the Athens County Courthouse about the construction of the pipeline, which would be a $3.7 billion project and would run from North Dakota through South Dakota, Iowa and Illinois. Developers say it would shuttle 470,000 barrels of crude oil per day.

Andrea Reik, who was in attendance at the protest, said the pipeline could create a large amount of pollution in the areas where it was built.

"This pipeline is equivalent to 30 coal burning power plants a year,” Reik said in a previous Post report.

Council will also continue to discuss budget and appropriations at Monday night’s meeting.

Council President Chris Knisely said the deadline for council’s budget is at the end of December.

“We have to pass the ordinance that approves the budget by the end of the year,” Knisely said in a previous Post report.

Additionally, council will discuss the disposal of several city vehicles that are no longer being used.

@LeckroneBennett

bl646915@ohio.edu