Council member Jeffrey Risner speaks on behalf of the Finance and Personal Committee at the city council meeting on August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: China Panda may get a liquor license

Another restaurant in Athens may be selling beer within the next few months.

At a meeting on Monday night, City Council President Chris Knisley announced China Panda restaurant at 965 E. State St. had applied for a D-1 liquor license, which means it would be able to sell beer on site.

Councilwoman Michelle Papai, D-3rd Ward, has voiced her concern over the amount of alcohol sold in Athens in the past, specifically around Court Street.

“It’s a lot of liquor permits for a three-block radius,” Papai said in a previous Post article.

At the meeting, Papai questioned whether there were any more liquor permits available for the City of Athens. Knisley said the state wouldn’t consider selling anymore if none were available.

“Liquor control would not issue a permit if we were over our limit” Knisley said.

Council also addressed the recent distribution of new recycling bins at the meeting. Mayor Steve Patterson said the new bins have been generally well received.

“I received a number communications from the populace of Athens asking for bins,” Patterson said. “I believe it’s been pretty successful.”

Councilwoman Jennifer Cochran, D-At Large, said although there have been some complaints regarding the size of the new bins, they have been popular so far.

“There have been a number of complaints about where to store these carts,” Cochran said. “But most of the comments have been positive.”

The council also adopted several ordinances Monday night, including reducing appropriations for the end of the year and increasing staffing.

@LeckroneBennett

bl646915@ohio.edu