BedPost: How to stay healthy and feel sexy

As a woman, I can say confidently that it can be impossible at times to be confident in your self-image. I recently have been restricted to crutches due to a knee injury. I have spent zero days in the gym and I’ve put on little to no makeup over the past week.

Per doctor’s orders, I’ve been resting and thus I’ve been lazier over the last few days than most people are in a year’s time. I feel like a potato that’s been left in the back of the pantry for too long and has begun to sprout small hairs. How am I supposed to maintain a happy and healthy body image like this?

It is so hard to be a female and have to live with media that constantly reminds us of how inferior we are to the models, actresses and makeup professionals of the world. It’s difficult to not compare ourselves to the images we see, especially when we’re having an off week or a rough day and we’re not at the top of our game.

So what’s a girl to do?

Maintain a few health goals

It’s not a myth that eating healthier and maintaining an active lifestyle genuinely makes you feel better. Exercising releases endorphins that make you feel happy, and many people swear that breaking a sweat is the greatest way to release stress. If you’re not someone who likes the gym and dieting isn’t your thing, try setting one or two achievable goals like drinking eight glasses of water every day or eating something green once a day. Little goals can easily motivate you without putting yourself on strict workout regimes or unrealistic diet plans. Little steps each day can go a long way.

Dress to impress yourself

The way you feel in the clothes you wear is a huge factor in maintaining a positive body image. Whether you are going to class or to the bars you should always be comfortable in what you’re wearing. Don’t force yourself to follow trends that aren’t your style. There’s nothing fun about pushing yourself to wear tight outfits that reveal lots of skin if that’s not what you feel comfortable in. At the same time, if you do feel comfortable in smaller clothing and you like showing off the girls, then by all means do it. You are in charge of your style and you deserve to be comfortable and confident in your clothing.

Keep it sexy

Your sexuality is another great tool to use when trying to maintain a positive body image. Whether you are in a relationship or single, it is easy to let your sex drive dwindle when you’re not feeling the best about the way you look in your birthday suit. It is important not to let your own negative thoughts keep you from going to boner town. When your man is making the move and you “just don’t feel like it,” whether you’re bloated or having a bad acne day, don’t brush him off because you think you’re not sexy. Most guys will adore your naked body, simply because it’s naked. Men love the female body, and appreciate our curves and creases more than we give them credit for. Don’t be afraid or insecure but instead own your body and be proud of the woman you are.

Haley Dake is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How do you feel about millennial dating culture? Let Haley know by emailing her at @hd883312@ohio.edu.