Emily Mclntyre

Dorm Sweet Dorm: Four foods you need to fight cold and flu season

Unfortunately, we’ve reached that time of year when it’s nearly inevitable to hear multiple people in class cough or sniffle for an hour straight. 

Aside from getting your annual flu shot (which you should really do as soon as possible), it’s just as important to make sure you are exercising regularly and incorporating healthy foods into your diet. Not sure where to start? Try these five versatile and nutritious picks:

1. Frozen veggies

I hear you — no one wants to sit down and feast on a bowl of these. Think outside the box by sneaking them into other items while cooking, like soup (Ramen included), instant mac and cheese, etc. Broccoli is a winner because it’s packed with multiple vitamins and minerals, plus fiber to keep you full.

2. Canned pumpkin

Spoiler alert: Pumpkin Spice Lattes don’t contain the true benefits that this fall super-food has to offer. Canned pumpkin has loads of Vitamin A, which is essential for eye health (read: protects your peepers when staring at a screen for hours on end). Vitamin A helps maintain your immune system and mucus membranes, so add some canned pumpkin to oatmeal, yogurt or even pudding.

3. Fortified cereal

Picky eaters rejoice: most cereals have been fortified with several vitamins and minerals, so check the Nutrition Facts label to see which ones have the most. This goes for gluten-free folks, too. Dry cereal is easy to tote along, but bonus points to you if you pair it with some protein-rich milk (including non-dairy kinds).

4. Black beans

Believe it or not, lack of sleep isn’t always to blame for feeling fatigued. Not consuming enough iron can cause your energy to plummet, which means your body won’t be in tip-top shape to combat icky germs. Usually red meat and poultry get all the credit for high quantities of iron, but black beans are also a great source. Add them to quesadillas, soups, salads and sandwiches.

5. Citrus fruits

An orange should be your best friend during the winter months because you can always count on them for tons of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that guards the body against damaging molecules called free radicals. If oranges are too juicy/messy for your liking, try a couple clementines.

There are plenty of other healthy choices out there, but try some of these and see what suits you best.

Emily McIntyre is a senior studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. What food should Emily spice up next? Let her know by emailing her at em564912@ohio.edu.