Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate: Senate will vote to support bias reporting system

Ohio University Student Senate will vote Wednesday on whether to support the implementation of a bias incident reporting tool.

The Bias Incident Reporting system, offered by the Office for Diversity and Inclusion, creates an opportunity for students to anonymously communicate instances of racism, sexism, homophobia and other occasions of bias. 

After students fill out the incident report form, a group called the Bobcats Response Team chooses how to respond to the report, sometimes by bringing in other members of the university to help support those involved, according to the Office for Diversity and Inclusion's website.

Senate President Hannah Clouser said there has been a lack of information regarding the system and the purpose of the bill is to bring more attention to the resource.

“We can’t market it if we don’t know what it is,” Clouser said.

The senate body will hear presentations from Krista McCallum Beatty, director of International Student and Faculty Services, and BobcaThon.

“We like the overall theme of getting the international student perspective,” Senate Chief of Staff Landen Lama said.

One budget, to fund the upcoming Philanthropy Fair, is on the agenda. 

“It’s a great chance for the Greek community to reach out to the general student populous,” Carolyn Miller, Senator At-Large and co-sponsor of the resolution, said. “Usually, when we hear about sororities and fraternities, it's negative.”

@taylor_snyder01

ts802716@ohio.edu