Athens High School starting quarterback Brendan Sano lobs the ball early in the first quarter. Athens High School won the game against Vinton County 63-14.

Athens Football: Sano-Dickelman connection key in win over Wellston

Brendan Sano couldn’t run the ball Friday night against Wellston; he didn't need to. With Treyce Albin and Robert Dickelman as wide receivers, all Sano needed to do was rely on their catching ability and speed.

Early in the game, it looked like the Bulldogs would struggle. Sano couldn’t get through the defensive front in the first quarter. While running back Mikel Casteel could move the ball efficiently, Sano was reduced from his dual-threat ability.

That was no problem for Athens, though.

The first of the two big touchdowns plays to Dickelman was on Athens’ first drive. After several good runs from Casteel and a couple of short passes, Sano was ready to show his arm strength.

From the 48-yard-line, Sano did a five-step drop, looked downfield and 6-foot-3 Dickelman was wide open across the middle on a deep post route that went 48 yards for the game's first touchdown.

“We have a long, hard offseason,” Dickelman said. “We perfected just about everything and make the right calls (and) make the plays when they’re out there.”

That was the first of Dickelman’s touchdown catches on the night. The second was a 43-yard touchdown of a similar fashion. That was Dickelman’s fifth touchdown catch in two games.

“It’s just clicking right now,” Sano said of the connection between him and Dickelman. “He always runs great routes and when he get’s open, and I throw a good ball. Which we have been working on in practice, on those deep balls, getting locked in and no drops in practice. And it’s working really well right now.

While Dickelman is known for his height and catching ability, Albin provides the speed and yards after catching.

Friday night, both of Albin’s touchdowns were short passes from Sano that turned into runs down the sideline from Albin. The first a 31-yard catch and run. The second an 81-yard catch and run.

“It makes me feel good and pat my back a little bit knowing that those guys can make plays like that,” Sano said. “It makes the offense so much more dynamic when you can bust off plays like that.”

Contrary to what Athens has done most of the season, there was only one big play of the night on the defensive end. It came late in the game, and the Bulldogs contained the pass well.

The Athens offense provided all of the sparks Friday night. Sano to Dickelman is the new connection. Sprinkle Albin in sporadically and the offense is virtually unstoppable and has been for the better part of the season.

“It feels good to show how diverse and strong we are in the pass game,” Sano said. “We got so many receivers out there. All four guys can run routes, and run them really well to get open, so it’s easy for me when guys are wide open.”

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu