Athens police officers search Court Street for shell casings from a shooting that occurred during the Athens Halloween block party on Oct. 26, 2014. Two shell casings were found and three gun shots were fired.

Pretrial set for man charged with 2014 Halloween gunshots

A Montgomery County man who allegedly fired a gun at the Halloween Block Party two years ago will appear in court for pretrial Oct. 25 at 10:30 a.m.

Sydney Woodson, 20, is charged with one count of discharge of a firearm creating a "substantial risk of physical harm," a third-degree felony and one count of inducing panic, a first-degree misdemeanor, according to documents from the Athens County Common Pleas Court.

Court documents allege Woodson unlawfully caused the evacuation of a public place early on the morning of Oct. 26, 2014 near 31 S. Court St. by committing an offense "with reckless disregard of the likelihood that its commission would cause serious public inconvenience or alarm."

The morning of the incident, three gunshots were fired at 2:05 a.m due to a fist fight that had broken out. Police officers had already been called to the scene to break up the fist fight when the shots were fired, according to a previous Post report.

That same morning, police officers found a 9 mm handgun near Hudson Health Center they believed was connected to the incident.

Woodson was indicted by the Athens County Grand Jury on May 23. He was arraigned June 22, and pleaded not guilty. Woodson's pretrial was originally set for July 22, but was postponed three times.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu