Letter: Ohio University needs to disassociate with Roger Ailes

To the Ohio University Administration:

Like most universities in the United States, you and your employers have done little to actually address the issue of sexual assault on this campus. Your phony attempts to talk about consent during orientation and the emails of concern you send to all of the students and faculty are laughable attempts to seem like you care about the bodies that have been and will be violated.

To keep your precious jobs and continue to exploit students for profit, you have and will continue to do nothing significant to change the culture of rape and sexual violence on this campus.

But if you do decide to act, here is a simple task you could do to show us that you might actually take student safety seriously: abandon Roger Ailes. Cut all ties with his name, and remove his likeness from the WOUB newsroom. Ailes, no matter if officially convicted of sexual misconduct or not, is a predator of women and a disgraceful man. If you want to be on the right side of history, take his name down immediately, remove all scholarships in his name and cut ties with him completely.

There are students that have already been raped or sexually assaulted this school year, and they deserve justice. You as administrators need to show them that wealthy donors are not as important as the students you serve.

If you refuse to act, there will be consequences. More and more students will be assaulted. Cutting ties with Ailes won’t change everything, but you must reject any glorification of sexual predators.

Brian Fogel is a sophomore studying political science at Ohio University and is a member of the International Socialist Organization. Fogel was previously a columnist and reporter for The Post.