Former Ohio University president Roderick McDavis released a report of highlights from his time as president on Tuesday. The report detailed accomplishments such as increasing national prominence, diversity and strategic partnerships among other things. (FILE)

OU joins four public universities in posting checkbook expenditures online

OU, Bowling Green State University, Central State University, Miami University and Wright State University became the first public universities in Ohio to post expenditures on the website.

Ohio University joined four other Ohio public universities Tuesday in a decision to publish its checkbook expenditures online on the website OhioCheckbook.com.

OU, Bowling Green State University, Central State University, Miami University and Wright State University became the first public universities in Ohio to post expenditures on the website hosted by Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel, according to a release from the treasurer’s office.

“I believe the taxpayers of Ohio have a right to know how their tax money is being spent, and I applaud these universities for partnering with my office to post their finances on OhioCheckbook.com,” Mandel said in the release. “My vision is to create an army of citizen watchdogs who are empowered to hold public officials accountable.”

The site, launched in December 2014, includes the expenses of more than 650 local governments and school districts. Neither the City of Athens nor Athens County have uploaded their checkbooks.

OU’s expenditures have been posted to the site, and so far this fiscal year, the university has spent about $110 million total, according to the website, which includes lists of expenditures for state agencies by fiscal year.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="97ae9692-071f-11e6-888a-0fc37ee13ab2"}}

The website also shows the sources of the money on a line by line basis, in addition to where the money goes.

“As Ohio’s first institution of public higher education, we are mindful of our accountability to the public trust. We are glad to be one of the higher education pilot institutions,” OU President Roderick McDavis said in the release. “Ohio’s taxpayers, our students and their families deserve to know how university resources are being allocated and we are happy to share this information through the Open Checkbook program. We applaud Treasurer Mandel for bringing more government transparency to the state of Ohio and for partnering with higher education institutions to achieve this goal.”

@kcoward02

kc769413@ohio.edu