A fire burns during a name burning ceremony, a part of Take Back the Night, on Tuesday. About 20 survivors and allies came together to share their stories and burn the names of assailants of sexual assault, which is a form of release for survivors. 

Survivors, allies come together to move on from past through name burning ceremony

As a part of Take Back the Night, survivors and allies gathered in Emeriti Park on Tuesday night to burn the names of assailants of sexual assault.

About 20 people came together Tuesday night in Emeriti Park to share survivors' stories and leave their pasts behind by burning the names of assailants of sexual assault or stand in support of those who did. 

Writing the name of their assailant and later burning it at the Take Back the Night Name Burning Ceremony is a form of release for survivors, according to a previous Post article.

The event was planned by the Student Senate Women’s Affairs Commission.

Meghan Hepp, a senior studying nursing and a Women’s Affairs senator, was one of the leaders of the event. She said she had to find a balance to ensure that survivors not only have a safe space but also do not feel pressured to tell their stories.

“You want to encourage survivors to share what they’re comfortable with, but you also want to make sure that you give them space as well,” Hepp said.

Cassidy Paul, a Women’s Affairs senator and a junior in the Bachelor of Specialized Studies program, said the experience is very personal one for every survivor or ally.

“One of the best parts of this space specifically was Meghan and Jessica (Arnold, a Women’s Affairs commissioner) made sure everyone knew that you shared when you were ready,” Paul said. “If you didn’t want to share at all, that was totally fine, too. It’s different for every person, but I felt very safe.”

Hepp said it is important to have events that empower and support survivors.

“Especially with the Survivor Advocacy Program being gone … there should be more opportunities for survivors to feel comfortable telling their stories and to get help,” Hepp said.

@pconnpie

pc511113@ohio.edu