Marquis Maines, a junior studying interactive design, poses for a portrait on Wednesday, April 6, 2016, wearing a recently released shirt he designed. 

Marquis Maines designs popular T-shirts for his own apparel company

Marquis Maines has started Cheo & Scott and Emit Apparel where he designs, prints and sells apparel.

Marquis Maines started his time at Ohio University studying computer engineering, and he now plans to end his time with a design degree and an apparel business.

Maines, a junior studying interactive multimedia design, has started two design businesses: Cheo & Scott, which is no longer operating, and Emit Apparel, where he designs, prints and sells apparel.

“(I’m) providing apparel that’s really expressive, really constructive, also fun, energetic,” he said. “Hence our business colors and things like that.”

Emit Apparel released a shirt with a design of a plug on April 6, and the pre-order stock was starting to “dwindle,” Maines said.

Maines said he usually designs apparel based on events that are coming up, such as the sold-out shirt he designed for Black History Month.

“The name of the design was called 'dreamchaser' and each letter of the word 'dreamchaser' had a prolific African-American figure in it that I think represented chasing their dreams,” he said.

Maines, who is from Cleveland, said people often are surprised when they find out he is a business owner as a college student.

“I think with hard work and dedication anything is possible,” he said. “So some people are impressed, and others just don’t believe the idea.”

Maines added that his ultimate goal is to collaborate with major brands, such as Hermes and Adidas.

“I’m really big on not closing any doors for myself,” he said. “Starting a business is really how I wanna go about growing one day. I wanna own my own design firm, so I think this is the first step in that direction.”

Though Maines has started two business based on design, he said he has studied computer engineering and business at OU, as well.

“My roommate sophomore year, we had briefly had a conversation about changing our majors,” he said. “One thing led to another. I finally got accepted into our visual communication program in Scripps College of Communication. It’s been history ever since.”

Maines added that he is happy studying design.

“I believe that the other majors helped me identify exactly what I wanted to do,” he said. “I’m definitely appreciative of those experiences.”

Maines said he has done a good job of managing his academics and outside work that includes running Emit Apparel.

“We’re new,” he said. “We're growing. We’re aspiring. But I think we’re definitely moving in the right direction.”

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu