Letter: Support abortion rights at Thursday rally

There will be a Abortion Positive Rally on campus on April 7.

On Thursday, April 7, Ohio University’s student organization FEM, or Feminist Equality Movement, will be teaming up with URGE (Unite for Reproductive & Gender Equity) and All* Above All to host an Abortion Positive Rally.

The rally is part of a national #AbortionPositive tour hosted by URGE and All* Above All. If you are interested in changing the current negative rhetoric often used when talking about abortion, join us from 1-3 p.m. at the Howard Hall site (#143 on campus map) for food, giveaways, selfie stations and to learn more about abortion access.

We need abortion positivity because according to NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio, 6 in 10 Ohioans live in a county that does not have an abortion provider. This extreme lack of reproductive healthcare has made Cincinnati the largest metropolitan area in the country without abortion access. Whether or not you personally would choose to get an abortion, this important medical service needs to be accessible to ensure that no matter what choice someone makes regarding their reproductive health, they can make that choice safely and easily.

By becoming more #AbortionPositive, we can not only make those who choose to get an abortion feel more secure and supported in their decision, but we can also help make strides to make abortion providers more accessible. Considering that abortion is one of the safest surgical procedures for those with a uterus, it is incredibly disappointing to see legislation still being introduced that would further complicate the process of getting an abortion.

Let’s end the stigma of those who want to be in control of their reproductive health and maintain their bodily autonomy. Abortion doesn’t have to be a dirty word. Let’s make it a positive word, one that signifies the battle that continues to be fought to protect reproductive health, reproductive rights and your own bodily autonomy. Let’s rally for abortion positivity!

Ariana Ybarra is a junior studying English at Ohio University.