Ohio football players enter the field before their game against Kent State on Nov. 10. 

Football: Ohio cornerback withdraws from program, influenced by CTE findings

Ohio cornerback Langston Provitt has withdrawn from the team because of concussion concerns.

Langston Provitt has played football since he was six years old.

Now, in 2016, he already knows he’ll miss it.

Provitt was a sophomore cornerback for the Bobcats, and withdrew from the team Thursday because of health concerns, due to fear of concussions and their future negative health impacts. Provitt will no longer be able to play football, as well.

“It’s going to be hard,” Provitt said. “I put in so much extra time, so much practice time, game time, I already know I’m going to miss it.”

The former cornerback suffered a concussion during Ohio’s spring football season and was sidelined for four practices. He played in Ohio’s spring game, however, picking up two tackles and one pass breakup.

The brain disease, Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, has shocked the NFL and its fans, causing players such as former San Francisco 49ers' to retire early, including right tackle Anthony Davis and former 49ers linebacker Chris Borland.

Dr. Bennet Omalu first found the disease in 2002 in former Pittsburgh Steelers center Mike Webster. The disease’s symptoms consist of confusion, memory loss, aggression and depression.

The effects of the debilitating disease and the NFL’s findings regarding it influenced Provitt’s decision.

“I told myself in the long run there’s life after football,” he said. “And I want to be able to enjoy that life after football and not have all these nagging little things.”

He was likely going to be on Ohio’s first team defense in 2016, coming off a freshman season in which he picked up 11 tackles with one interception.

And that only made the decision even harder for him.

“Ultimately I just told myself at the end of the day, football comes to an end sometime,” Provitt said. “Regardless if I make it to the NFL, my career ends in college—it’s going to end sometime.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="27124f2a-0565-11e6-88ca-b33834a5ab1f"}}

As Provitt moves forward, he said he is interested in business or marketing, as his family is involved in those fields.

He will no longer play football, but he feels he is making a good decision.

“I just feel like it’s what’s best for my body,” Provitt said.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu