The Bobcat Readership Program may change next year introducing a free app that is used at other universities and decreasing the amount of ​USA TODAY print copies.

Bobcat Readership Program may transition to news app, cut back on print copies

The Bobcat Readership Program provides students and staff print copies of USA TODAYThe New York Times and The Columbus Dispatch through a partnership between OU Student Senate and the USA TODAY Network.

Ohio University students may be able to read national and campus news on their phones for free next year due to an initiative by Student Senate.

Student Senate is considering changing the university’s Bobcat Readership Program next year by offering fewer print copies of USA TODAY and instead having a free app called The Buzz, Hannah Clouser, senate treasurer and president-elect, said. 

The app would include stories from USA TODAY and student media on campus, she said. Currently, OU students have access to national newspapers in Baker Center and Alden Library through the Bobcat Readership Program. 

The program provides students and staff print copies of USA TODAY, The New York Times and The Columbus Dispatch through a partnership between Student Senate and the USA TODAY Network.

Clouser added that the amount of The New York Times and The Columbus Dispatch print copies would stay the same because their stories would not be featured on the app.

Gabby Bacha, senate president, said senate works annually with representatives from the USA TODAY Network to discuss the readership program.

“We look at the numbers and we decide, ‘Hey, do we want to get more of this newspaper for students or less of this newspaper?’” Bacha said. “In the past, senate leadership advocated for Columbus Dispatch to be in here.”

From Aug. 24 to March 25 this academic year, the university paid more than $39,000 for the program, which has a total budget of $51,000 per year, according to an OU business review by the USA TODAY Network.

The digital pricing would be $9,000 for the first year and $12,000 for the second year, according to the business review.

Cody Laney, a senior studying finance and business analytics, said he usually picks up a copy of The New York Times every Monday, Wednesday and Friday when he walks through Baker.

“I think it could be cool if (the app) was widely promoted so that students really knew about it,” Laney said. “I guess it would be convenient for a lot of people. I like the newspaper though.”

Jenna Behnfeldt, a senior studying exercise physiology and a building manager for OU Event Services, said she sees people pick up papers from the program when she works in Baker. She said mostly older faculty members and Athens residents pick up copies.

“When I open in the morning people usually drop them off before we get here,” Behnfeldt said. “I’ve noticed when that doesn’t happen or when they run out people get angry.”

Christy Wiseman, a senior studying environmental geography and a guest services representative for OU Event Services, said people may become angry if the number of print copies are cut back.

“But I think more students would use (the program) if they had an app,” Wiseman said.

Clouser added that if the change was made, the USA TODAY Network would hire campus representatives to advertise and market the app to students.

“I think it’s pretty common for students to get their news in an email or app anyways, which is why I think this will be really cool,” she said.

Student Senate members will discuss the future of the Bobcat Readership Program at the body's next meeting April 13, Clouser said.

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu