Kari Willard, an undecided freshman, tosses a beanbag during a game of cornhole in the backyard of a house on High Street, during High Fest on March 21, 2015. 

Students and local law enforcement are gearing up to High Fest this weekend

High Fest, the second all-day fest of the season, is Saturday. 

Residents on High Fest are busy preparing for this weekend by buying kegs and cases of beer.

At last year’s High Fest, the Ohio Investigative Unit recorded 28 arrests, and 33 people were arrested in 2014, according to a previous Post report.

Local law enforcement began shutting down parties at High Fest last year around 3 p.m. and by 5:30 p.m. most houses were cleared out, according to previous Post report.  

At Mill Fest last weekend, the Athens Police Department arrested one person on an alcohol related charge, while the Ohio University Police Department arrested seven people on alcohol related charges. OIU arrested 16 people on alcohol related offenses as well, according to a previous Post report.

“Our focus was more on belligerent people, violent people,” APD Chief Tom Pyle said.

Residents on Mill Street whose parties were getting too out of hand asked police officers to help get people to leave, Pyle said. 

“Quite a few people at the end of the day asked us to shut down their parties,” Pyle said.

Logan Amon, a sophomore studying child and family studies, said High Fest is his favorite fest.

“The first fest weekend, everyone is going crazy and then the second one is a little more chill,” Amon said, adding that he might go to High Fest this weekend depending on the weather.

According to Scalia Lab, Saturday will be mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain-snow mix. The high will be near 44 degrees Fahrenheit with a low of 27 degrees.

Amon's advice to festers is “Don’t over do it.”

Molly Finkenthal, a sophomore studying integrated media, said she is going to High Fest this weekend.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="fbe9b272-ec8a-11e5-a24b-ebc6b742982f"}}

“It’s my favorite one,” Finkenthal said.

The weather was really nice last year during High Fest, Finkenthal said, adding that she likes how the fests are during the day.

“Know how to handle your alcohol,” Finkenthal said.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu