President Roderick McDavis speaks at the Student Senate meeting on Oct. 7, 2015. 

Student Senate will vote on 5 budget resolutions at its meeting Wednesday

The body will vote on seven resolutions, including five budgets. The other two resolutions focus on internal positions.

After Ohio University Student Senate passed a resolution to create a judicial panel at its meeting last week, the body will continue to focus on internal matters at Wednesday's meeting.

“All the resolutions that we’ll be voting on seem pretty straightforward,” William Kolenky, academics affairs commissioner, said. “This meeting should be a quicker one.”

Student Senate will vote on a resolution to appoint Jacob Haskins and Logan Stark as Rules and Procedures Committee members and Samirah Harris to serve on the Women’s Affairs Commission.

“We just had a senator resign, and we need more people on Rules and Procedures to get work done,” Landen Lama, the sponsor of the resolution and chair of the Rules and Procedures Committee, said.

The budget resolutions include resolutions to purchase blue books, pay for a viewing of the film Plastic Paradise: The Great Plastic Garbage Patch, pay for an OHIO Women event and purchase a shredder for Students Defending Students.

“Just because there is no specific resolution passing doesn’t mean things aren’t happening within senate,” senate Treasurer Hannah Clouser said. “Budgets seem like very mundane resolutions, but they show that a lot of outside events are happening. I think we have a lot of those coming up this spring that people have been planning for for a long time now.”

At the general body meeting, senate also will hear presentations from the student trustees and senators who attended this year's American Student Government Association Conference.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f421156e-e715-11e5-9021-2fa27d79d4db"}}

Lama said it will be exciting to listen to the student trustees because the OU Board of Trustees met last Thursday and Friday.

Clouser said she was one of the senate members that attended the conference over spring break.

“We’ll mostly just be presenting on what we took out of (the conference), what it was like,” she said.

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu