James D. Howard

OUPD charges former OU student after allegedly assaulting Bird Arena staff member

Former Ohio University student charged with one count each of burglary and weapons under disability after allegedly assaulting an OU staff member at Bird Arena. 

After allegedly assaulting an Ohio University employee and attempting to buy a firearm, a former OU student was charged with one count each of burglary and weapons under disability Monday.

The OU Police Department charged 25-year-old James D. Howard after he allegedly assaulted an OU staff member at Bird Arena on Monday, according to an OUPD news release.

Ohio Hockey coach Sean Hogan also confirmed the man had previously played hockey for OU. Hogan declined to comment on the situation.

Officers responded to a report of an assault at Bird Arena shortly before noon. Howard reportedly entered a staff member’s office, shoved the staff member and attempted to hit him with a closed fist.

Howard then left OU’s campus, and police later were told he had informed a friend he was going to buy a gun.

OUPD obtained warrants for Howard’s arrest and asked surrounding law enforcement agencies to help look for him.

On Monday afternoon, Howard reportedly tried to buy a firearm in Logan. Deputies from the Hocking County Sheriff’s Office located Howard in Logan, where he was found to be in possession of a shotgun for which he was purchasing ammunition, according to the release.

He was taken into custody and transported to the Southeast Ohio Regional Jail, where he is being held on a $35,000 bond.

Howard also withdrew from classes at OU on Monday, according to the release.

Howard appeared in Athens Municipal Court for an arraignment Tuesday and has a preliminary hearing scheduled for March 29 at 2 p.m.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="700a5c6e-eec6-11e5-b903-a3e3f4d6a03f"}}

The judge in the case ordered no contact with OU, as well as the business Downs Bait & Guns and the Wal-Mart in Logan.

According to the law website HG.org, a no contact order means the defendant isn’t allowed to have any contact with the victim or the people under the protection of the order.

Burglary is a second-degree felony, and weapons under disability is a third-degree felony.

The burglary charges come from Howard’s alleged assault of the staff member, and the weapons under disability charge results from his possession of a firearm after a previous involuntary admission to a mental health facility. The charges carry a total maximum penalty of 13 years in prison and a $25,000 fine, according to the release

The Hocking County Sheriff's Office, the Athens City Police Department, Athens City Prosecutor's Office and Athens County Prosecutor's Office assisted with the investigation, according to the release.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu