The Putt People First miniature golf course, located behind the Ridges, on March 22nd, 2016. The money raised from the course goes toward charities in the Athens area.

Mini golf course near The Ridges hopes to 'Putt People First' by giving to local charities

The course, named Putt People First, is Athens County’s only 18-hole miniature golf course, and its proceeds benefit local charities.

If you've ever walked around The Ridges, you may have wondered what's up with the miniature golf course near the historic buildings.

All proceeds the course make are shared between two charities: HAVAR and Athens Area Mediation Service. HAVAR is an organization that works to help children and adults with developmental disabilities, and the Athens Area Mediation Service is a nonprofit that assists with conflict resolution.

The course, located on South Park Drive, was started in 2008 through partnerships with 18 Athens businesses. The businesses contribute $500 per year to the course and have their own designs for each hole, according to HAVAR's website.

Putt People First makes money from selling food and drinks and renting out equipment for the course, Scott Dennis, the supervisor of the course, said.

Some of the people with disabilities that HAVAR works with help with upkeep on the park. 

“It's preparation for competitive work, so they can eventually move to a community job," Dennis, who is also a community employment manager for HAVAR, said. "It teaches them good work habits."

HAVAR's total revenue in the 2014 fiscal year was about $3.9 million, according to the website Guidestar.org. 

Putt for People has come to mean a lot to some Athens community members.

“Its an escape from reality really," Athens resident Sawyer Summers said. "It's like my sanctuary."

Evan Bates, a junior studying sport management, agreed that the course is a nice alternative.

“I mean it's something to do with my friends," Bates said. "There isn’t much to do in Athens, you know, besides partying."

Summers and Bates said they have been going to the course about three times a week recently.

“I just like hanging out and playing putt-putt. It's nice to do,” Kyle McCarthy, a junior studying management information systems, said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1a3675c0-ed63-11e5-b9e2-c79534b4ad90"}}

In addition to mini golf, visitors can play basketball, volleyball and corn hole at the site.

The course is open on weekdays from 4 p.m. until dark and on weekends from noon until dark, according to its website.

@BrookEndale

be278114@ohio.edu