Letter: What every Ohio University student could learn from Garry Shandling

Garry Shandling, comedian and writer, died March 24.

The news of Garry Shandling’s death brought many people down a couple of notches. It did me. 

Mr. Shandling was a comedian I admired when I was a college student too many years ago to mention. My perception of him is formed only from watching the television shows he wrote, produced and directed “It’s Garry Shandling’s Show,” “The Larry Sanders Show” and videos that exist on YouTube today.

I’ve never met Mr. Shandling, nor have I seen him perform, but here is what I know about him.

He was an engineering student at the University of Arizona. After three years, he transferred into the college of business where he studied marketing, the same field of study for me as an undergraduate. He said, “Once I made the transition into the business school, I found it so easy I had free time, even in class.” That was funny to me as a student back then. It’s even funnier now that I’m a professor who teaches a similar subject. 

He was a comedian. He was an actor. He was a talk show host (both fictional and nonfictional). He was original, brilliant and funny, but what’s noteworthy about Garry Shandling is that he was first and foremost a writer. I like that. I hold him in even higher esteem.   

But, writing talent is not enough in today’s world. If you want to succeed as a writer, whether you are a freshman or a senior, I recommend that you watch these two videos of Mr. Shandling in the following order.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT29z54frIc (Time is 4:40).

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0g6xtuAdKY  (Time is 3:25).

I hope you notice that no matter what you do in life and in your career, it all begins with desire. Garry had that. 

The other point, I really hope you notice this, is that he solicited feedback starting out in his writing career.  He asked the right questions, listened and took the necessary steps to improve. As a result, others opened up to him and so did the universe.   

So, in honor of Garry Shandling, I’m rewriting my syllabus. In the section of my syllabus that reads, “Turn your cellphone off and leave it in your backpack or pocket.”  I’m adding the following conditional: (That is unless you are watching Garry Shandling videos – these are great life lessons.)

To Garry Shandling. Thanks for the laughs and lessons. May you rest in peace.

Craig Davis is an associate professor of advertising at Ohio University.